Bmw d190

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barqueiro

Vessel Name
St Jorge
Vessel Make
1986 Ponderosa 47
Well this is my introduction to this forum. I'm in the process of purchasing a 38' 1983 Fung Hwa with a single BMW D190 (I believe it is 165 hp 123kw)Question is........ I don't see anyone talking about this engine? Does anyone have any idea or should I stay away from this boat?

Go to boatdiesel.com , pose same question and read archives.

Be aware!

Base engines were made by VM Motori in Italy.
I do not know how they behaved as car engines. As BMW marine engines they have a reputation of having an inferior cooling system. Base engine has a cast iron block with aluminum heads that will fail when heat stressed.

I have a friend who had one of these in his previous boat. He could not get the engine to run properly. After numerous attempts to find the source of the problem, it turned out one cylinder head was cracked and another was warped causing at least two cylinders not be doing their job.

Parts either hard to find or expensive, or both.

This is probably the engine found in many Lord Nelson boats. Talking to a LN skipper may produce meaningful and objective information.

I was looking at a NT32 that had an older Yanmar 6cyl. Found out that basically there were no parts available anywhere. I was on the phone for several minutes before the PNW distributor (Cascade) even acknowledged the engine's existence.

Rare and unusual engines can be a serious problem but there are many engines not usually found in a trawler that are very good. Izusu's marinized by Klassen are a good example. They are mostly found in fishing boats though.

The BMW marine engines are orphans, as far as I know. Look up BMWmarine.com. A group called V12 Engineering has formed that has a particular fondness for the brand. They have gathered parts and such to support the brand. How good is the parts availability? I don't know. I surveyed a LN tug with one, and the turbo was shot. The buyer ended up repowering. Not because the turbo was not available, he just did not want problems down the road.

If the BMW checks out, I would not necessarily avoid the boat. But build into your budget a way to recover from an unsupported engine. It depends on your tolerance for risk.

bayview wrote;

"consider more comon power."

I'd be inclined to look for excellence.

Perhaps a Lehman?

That's common.

Resale price of trawlers with odd ball engines seems to take a big hit even if the engines are relatively new.

Resale price of trawlers with odd ball engines seems to take a big hit even if the engines are relatively new.

That's because a prudent buyer builds his eventual sale price into his purchase price. Less popular power plants give the educated buyer leverage.

If you cannot purchase a recently re-powered boat the next best thing is backing as much of the cost for doing one out of the seller. Rather than a negative I look at odd engines as a positive.

Greetings,
Many, many moons ago I looked into purchasing a, from the best of my memory, a steel Defever (made in Mexico) with a Waukeshaw diesel. With research, I found only 22 Waukeshaw's had been marinized. Passed on that one.

Car engines, BMW, VW ,Toyota are seldom successful ,with marine type loads.

There are some fine engines that seldom (except the lobster guys) see marine service.

My favorite for low cost and genuine HD construction is the International 360 or 466.

Almost new is only a few thousand , and the bell housing is std SAE so a marine tranny can be hung on easily.

As these are usually skool bus engines they take light loads ok , and are fine at WOT , their normal operating condition.

Is that the same BMW engine that Lord Nelson Tugs started with ? If so you could talk with some of those tug guys . I know later they switched to the Cummins .

FF you've talked about these International engines for years. How-a-bout some details. Six cyl or V8? Spin on oil filter? Weight? Fuel injection type? Pre-chambers or direct? RPM? HP? Years manufactured? PICS?

May be interesting. Engines usually in farm machinery or trucks?

The International are found in Skool buses and medium duty trucks.

Inline 6 , smooth and about 1400 lbs .

You get to chose mechanical injection or electronic.

Back
Top Bottom