WOW.....what a weekend we had.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't believe it was real so I googled the doctor's name and "sitka" and came up with a few zillion stories saying it was fake.

Skipperdude wrote: "How can you tell if a pic is photoshopped what ever that means."

Many photos of this type have been "Photoshopped." If you don't know, Photoshop is an Adobe computer application that allows you to manipulate photographs, combine them, etc. in a zillion different ways.

The clues that a picture has been Photoshopped combine logic (the picture simply doesn't make sense no matter how well it's put together) and technique (shadows are inconsistent, edges of layers are obvious, etc.).

In this case, while the technical aspects of the photo merging is excellent, no kayaker in the world would continue to paddle along nonchalantly when engulfed in the mouth of a whale as this fellow is doing. Add to this the fact that whales, as large as they may be, are very much aware of every aspect of their surroundings, would not "accidentally" do something like this.

Just about every picture you see in a magazine has been Photoshopped to a degree. All the photos I've posted to this forum have been Photoshopped for example. I use the application to correct color balance, enhance saturation and sharpness, change the framing, level the horizon, etc. I don't know how to use it well enough to combine pictures and make something that didn't exist (although I do know how to do this with AfterEffects, which is the big Adobe application for manipulating video). But these days, very little of what you see in magazines, on TV, or in movies has not been treated in some way or another.

You are correct--- a photo (or video) image today is more likely to be "false" in that it does not reflect reality, than true. Given the average person's inability to detect or reason that a photo is false, we are increasingly being inundated with bogus information. This would not be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that many people will make decisions or act on this bogus information and the end result can be trouble. It's one of the things that's contributing to what I believe is the dumbing down of the population.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 12:01:41 PM

What got me going was that I have seen whales feeding like this and I swear have* seen a few seagulls get taken.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 01:10:41 PM

I thought it was a very cool photo, but had trouble believing there was a photographer conveniently close to take this shot, that was the big giveaway for me.

Marin,Why don't you photoshop those fenders off your boat
biggrin.gif

nomadwilly wrote:

Marin,
Why don't you photoshop those fenders off your boat
biggrin.gif
Why?

Now if you'd suggested Photoshopping the whole damn boat out of the picture and replacing it with something good looking I'd see the merit in that.* But just take the fenders off?* Why bother.* It's not going to make the boat look any better, right?

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 11:20:50 PM

Eric, did you erase*Willy's flying bridge and add the dinghy using photoshop?

Well....bang goes the old "the camera never lies", so-called truth....that's for sure.

Eric, leave it, leave it - don't go there.*
However, I will haul in the fenders, when, and if, the rain stops long enough for me to shoot my new avatar, new paint job and all.* Would you believe we've just 'enjoyed' the wettest September on record.* It's now 28 degrees (Centigrade) and raining again.* But it will stop soon....I hope.* I gotta get the new names on yet.

-- Edited by Peter B on Wednesday 6th of October 2010 03:50:25 AM

Back
Top Bottom