Disposing of used antifreeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Had the crazy idea of changing AF in the engines and genset. Then the thought crossed my mind, what to do with it? What is the proper way to dispose of used AF? There are about five gallons in each engine, not sure yet about the genset. Of course first I have to capture it, with the drain valve at the bottom of the block that looks like an interesting problem also.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Not sure about Texas, but around here many marinas, boat yards and the local landfill all have hazmat tanks set up for free disposal of antifreeze. I changed mine out this winter, including the keel cooler (wet vac works extremely well). That's about 16 gallons.

Good Luck with your project!

Call your local county. They'll have a location where you can take it. Or take it to a local cat shelter.....just kidding.

Yep, wet vac does work well. Just open your valve with the vac suction just below it. Changed all of mine with very little mess. Made the job relatively easy.

I dump mine into the bilge and then pump it out into containers. Getting rid of it can be a problem. I called Walmart and they said they would take it. When I got there they said they wouldn't. After a little arguing on my part the one guy told the other guy to dump it in with the used oil.

Since Walmart services cars, I wonder what they do with their own used coolant.

There is an "official" place in my area to take used coolant but it's a long way from my home.

Good thought about the wet vac. May have to look into getting one. I think there is a disposal site in the area, but quite a long way to haul five gallon buckets of AF. Might be easier to just hire somebody, but, not in my lifetime.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom