Spelling for Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
I was reading a thread in which a TF member pointed out that the correct spelling of a city in Florida is "Stuart," not "Stewart." It got me thinking about other common misspellings I see frequently on TF. Two of the most common are:

It is "Cummins" engines, not "Cummings" engines

It is "a lot'" not "alot"

Care to add any of your own?

Forgive me as I am a publisher and can't help finding spelling mistooks. :rofl:

Howard

The one that you may see most often is "RPM's" or just rpms..

RPM stands for revolutions per minute ...... one minute. Not plural just one minute.

People put the "s" on the end because it sounds like it's going faster or ?

Eric, we should say, "RsPM". One I see a lot, not just on TF, is "your" when the writer means to say "you're".

Greetings,
Advise (to impart information) instead of advice (seeking information). Sometimes see "looking for advise".
I make every effort to make sure my spelling and word usage is correct and apologize for any errors that may occur. Proper spelling and syntax is showing respect for the reader IMO. Akin to dressing up for church.

On a related note, I love catching malapropisms. Someone today at work said "we haven't flushed out the plan yet" when he meant "fleshed out".

Then again, maybe he did mean flushed out! :)

Last edited:
Just pointing out that some boats have a winch and a wench.

Hmason: if your significant other reads this, you may have some crew trouble......

I guess I meant a winch and a wrench.

I like kph for knots per hour, or nautical miles per hour per hour - a measure of acceleration.

My dingy or is it dinghy has a wench

Salon or saloon.
Fly bridge or flying bridge.

"Regardless" not "Irregardless" (If it was a real word, it would mean the same as "regardless" and adding the "Ir" doesn't make your point of view sound more important to your audience, probably just the opposite.)

Question posed to me by a trial judge. "Was the liquid found to be "flammable" or "inflammable"? :eek: Ah.h.h.h it was nonflammable your honor. :whistling:

There, their and they're are common mistakes.

Draft or Drought?

Line or rope?

Gunnel or gunwall or gunwale?

Could care less= still care
Couldn't care less = no care

Drive on Parkway, Park on Driveway

Last edited:
cell phone typing makes it more difficult.

I thought there was general agreement that using the wrong anchor was ignorant but that spelling and grammar were overlooked.

It's "Cojones" not cajones
Cajones means big boxes.

:thumb::thumb::iagree:

I thought there was general agreement that using the wrong anchor was ignorant but that spelling and grammar were overlooked.

:banghead:Wow and boating now is graded by your spelling

Last edited:
The one that you may see most often is "RPM's" or just rpms..

RPM stands for revolutions per minute ...... one minute. Not plural just one minute.

People put the "s" on the end because it sounds like it's going faster or ?

That's like the ads for Ford cars claiming high MPGs.

So long as the meaning is understood, I think that should be the general rule. Enough problems in life without inventing more.

We all make mistakes from time to time but some of this is carelessness and some is ignorance. Wench for winch is ignorance.

Of course there are those who take pride in their ignorance.

We all make mistakes from time to time but some of this is carelessness and some is ignorance. Wench for winch is ignorance.

Of course there are those who take pride in their ignorance.

some of us are uneducated not ignorant but having to start nick picking spelling is bullshit

some of us are uneducated not ignorant but having to start nick picking spelling is bullshit

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I'll have a beer on that!

Some take pride in things I can't even imagine.....:socool:

Do you mean "nitpicking"?

1ae26ab0b1e80130dd6f001dd8b71c47

I had a "Key Pout" once when in third grade... my first real girl friend moved out of town! :cry:

:dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom