Anodes in Tung hwa clipper 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluevee

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lady J
Vessel Make
Clipper 30
Sorry I posted this in welcome mat- should have been here

Hello all,
I'm taking my 30 ft chb clipper onto the slip for the first time in November - just wondering if any one has an idea of what anodes I might be looking at replacing- thread size , mounting type, on rudder, shaft ? etc its a 1980 80hp lehman powered model. There are some cylindrical types in the spares left by the PO that look to be 1/4 bsp thread probably for heat exchangers etc but that's all. I'm doing all the work myself- pressure washing , antifouling etc to get a good look at the underside, it's my first big boat so the learning curve is steep. By the way I'm in Lake Macquarie NSW. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry I posted this in welcome mat- should have been here

Hello all,

I'm taking my 30 ft chb clipper onto the slip for the first time in November - just wondering if any one has an idea of what anodes I might be looking at replacing- thread size , mounting type, on rudder, shaft ? etc its a 1980 80hp lehman powered model. There are some cylindrical types in the spares left by the PO that look to be 1/4 bsp thread probably for heat exchangers etc but that's all. I'm doing all the work myself- pressure washing , antifouling etc to get a good look at the underside, it's my first big boat so the learning curve is steep. By the way I'm in Lake Macquarie NSW. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello Blue. We have one 'Divers Dream' anode at the stern of the vessel. The prop shaft has a brush in the engine room instead of a prop nut zinc, see pic. My Clipper is a 1983 with an 80hp Lehman, which requires 1 heat exchanger zinc that I replace every 8-12 months. I love this boat, I am sure you will as well! Good Luck!

10759355_FUL.jpg

The cylindrical zinc is for the engine's heat exchanger.

Underwater you will probably have an egg shaped on zinc on the prop shaft, a round zinc on the rudder if it is bronze and sometimes a big rectangular or hexagonal zinc on the transom.

Boatzincs.com is the place to buy them.

David

Thanks for the info fellas, now I've got an idea what I'm looking at needing. might have to do a quick dive beforehand to make sure ( hopefully I've got one of those divers dreams - I've got no idea why they're called that) and I do love the boat, lucky for the boat cause it needs a lot of love! I would love to hear /see more details of other like vessels because I think mine stayed in 1980 's configuration avoiding 20 years of advancements.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1413389580.259970.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1413389778.537759.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1413389822.046210.jpg

Here is what our 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper looks like now.

I have always been partial to the Tung Hwa Clipper, nice.
Bill

Isn't magnesium the preferred anode for fresh water?

I looked at a Clipper and the floor was collapsing under the galley. I understand this is a weakness of the brand. I am passing this along not to rain on your parade but to suggest it might be something to monitor.

Interesting. I haven't experienced any problems with the flooring. I have no doubt my floor will be around long after I'm gone. But I also keep my boat dry. My fridge is also not incorporated into the galley cabinets, so maybe they made some changes structurally on the 83+ models.

Last edited:
Same here, the flooring is good even where the galley is. I do have some panel water damage I suspect from wet teak decks. I'm hoping to get her up to a decent standard- close to yours Adelaide would be good- but I'm the type who would rip the guts out of it and restore it given the opportunity- probably best avoided and just enjoy using it and chip away at her one job at a time .By the way the lake I'm in is coastal salt water( I don't think we've got any fresh lakes here that are big enough for bigger boats)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom