You have been thanked!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mail box is already full. I'd have to clean it out regularly if there were a "Boo" button...

You can configure your account to exclude PM notifications of thanks.

>user CP >> edit options >> (make change) >>> scroll and save.

:flowers:

Often I'll add a personal Thanks to a post that strikes a particular nerve with me.

When I comment, it's to add to a conversion versus a "me too" (but then again I'm verbal) or more accurately: I run on at the fingers! [You might have figured that out by now.]

Personally, I love getting the "Thanks" ... being recognized by peers is quite pleasant.

TrawlerForum has a setting (found in the Control Panel) to shut down stuff that irritates you. You can also refuse all private messages, along with email notifications of such.

Suggestion: Stop putting the stuff into spam. You've opted in, so opt out from the source.

Marking stuff like PM notices as Spam will cause the services (google, yahoo, msn) to dump all email from TF or any other place you've marked as Spam. That irks those of us who want the stuff. It's also a nightmare for the site itself!

Side Note: Getting a domain Black-Listed is a real pain to overcome and of course the sender is presumed Guilty. In the 1990s I had a few email lists. One was selling books, plus a couple of for-fun crafting ones. Keeping them legit when subscribers kneecap you by marking the emails as Spam after they've subscribed is a pain in the transom.

I'm on a BST list (Buy-Sell-Trade for trawlers) and about 50% of the time the letters end up in Spam. Somebody didn't bother to unsubscribe. Argh!

In my opinion.

What's the big deal? Effort to revise isn't worth it. :peace:

I write software for a living, but that means I get to sit in on marketing and analytics meetings quite often.

The "worth" in the effort would be to increase user engagement.

There's a concept called the 90-9-1 rule where 90% of a communities users simply lurk, 9% occasionally post, and 1% frequently post. This rule has been observed over many years, and over many different online communities.

But today it really doesn't apply well to many social media platforms, and is in fact closer to 70-20-10

The interesting question is why. It seems nobody really knows, but there are definite psychological aspects in play. People like being validated, and they like having their views appreciated -- being "like'd" caters to that.

Now, as for TrawlerForum in particular -- I think the 90-10-1 rule is probably pretty close to the truth (maybe the mod's have data to prove/disprove?). But I also don't think it's a problem, as the community appears to be thriving.

In short, it doesn't really matter if a like button appears or not.

So a little history about the Thanks feature... we used to have a native (to the forum software) function called "reputation"

Basically it worked a bit like the Facebook like button and posters could rack up points for receiving reputation "hits". We found that a few posters made point accrual a contest and that as there a function to give negative reputation, it could be used in very negative ways - and all anonymously. Frankly it creates a bad vibe on a forum and so the thanks feature was devised. It's intended to be positive and allow for some extra communication in a more private way. it also stopped the endless posts to a thread that simply said "thanks".

The Facebook like button is pretty common and folks are comfortable with it but a forum can be so much more than Facebook. More searchable, a better reference, building community, etc. Facebook serves a good purpose and can be fun and useful but we aren't Facebook; do we really need to emulate that model and lose a more personal way to communicate?

We're trawlerites! We want it all.

Can we have the Like button and the Thanks feature?

Please understand that I think TF is a very well run, designed, and managed forum. I don't think it is broken by any stretch. This is just an interesting topic to me.

...and so the thanks feature was devised. It's intended to be positive and allow for some extra communication in a more private way. it also stopped the endless posts to a thread that simply said "thanks".
And to that end, I think the Thanks button was very successful.

I think a like button will stop posts to a thread that simply say "I agree".

Is that an epidemic? Not in my opinion, but it does happen:

The Facebook like button is pretty common and folks are comfortable with it but a forum can be so much more than Facebook. More searchable, a better reference, building community, etc. Facebook serves a good purpose and can be fun and useful but we aren't Facebook; do we really need to emulate that model and lose a more personal way to communicate?
A more personal way to communicate is fine.

No, TF should not try to be Facebook. Neither should it be Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, or Google+. But one feature that is shared among every single one of those platforms? Favoriting/Liking someone else's content.

To avoid the reputation problem, the like/favorite button should be tied to a POST, not a MEMBER. That is a very important distinction, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think MAYBE the likes should be presented on the post. As in little green spots or ?

Some to quite a few people send me thanks but it's usually re some technical discussion and point of view. Sometimes it's on a post that the thinker probably thinks he'd be seen in a negative light if he agreed w me. I frequently talk about unpopular things and in a positive way so agreeing w me "on the board" would/could be awkward.

I thought the "thanks" feature was kinda silly/stupid as one could just PM his thanks anytime to anybody. But one had to sort of "open a door" to do the private msg whereas the "Thanks" feature says "you're invited to do this and here's how. MUCH more inviting.

I think the "Thanks" feature should be kept and I'm now going to thank Janice142 for her input. I really like her posts.

I was joking about the Boo button but sure wish there was one ..

Wifey B: Omg, how did this become an issue. Well, I like it just as it is. If you don't want notifications, that's easy enough. Personally, I don't expect thanks but I do appreciate them when received, whether with or without a message. Then sometimes it leads to private messages too. Heck, I just wish there was a "You're welcome" button to hit. I mean really I do my thing, not for some accolades or thanks, but if I get one, then I just mentally say, "you're welcome" and I move on.

Greetings,
I receive thanks occasionally and the odd time there IS a text/explanation to which I usually respond in a PM. I seldom reply as in post #'s 30 and 39. I did so to make my point. My point being, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't like being thanked-fine. Do as suggested and block them.
It has also been pointed out to me that my "Welcome aboard" posts are simply frivolous and too frequent and the vast majority of my 4200+ posts are just two words. To these detractors I ask...When you meet someone new isn't the FIRST thing you say something like..."Hiya, how ya doin'...good to meet you. Same deal here IMO.
I frequently take some time finding just the right GIF to post as I feel it both amuses AND conveys more than mere words.
tumblr_loke07Bmzt1qafrh6.gif

RTF, I really wish you would come up with a greeting video. That way the new guy would know of your particular kind of crazy and I wouldn't have to warn them.

The Thumbs Up Kids wouldn't be a bad one.

RTF, I really wish you would come up with a greeting video. That way the new guy would know of your particular kind of crazy and I wouldn't have to warn them.

The Thumbs Up Kids wouldn't be a bad one.

Wifey B: I think he should have a custom greeting video for everyone based on the screen name they choose....

Besides if they can't figure out his crazy then nothing will help them. It's nice to have someone so freaking unique. Wouldn't want a whole board of RTF's but great we have one.

But like for HopCar, if you were just joining, he'd have like Blake Griffin dunking over the Kia.

Greetings,
I receive thanks occasionally and the odd time there IS a text/explanation to which I usually respond in a PM. I seldom reply as in post #'s 30 and 39. I did so to make my point. My point being, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't like being thanked-fine. Do as suggested and block them.
It has also been pointed out to me that my "Welcome aboard" posts are simply frivolous and too frequent and the vast majority of my 4200+ posts are just two words. To these detractors I ask...When you meet someone new isn't the FIRST thing you say something like..."Hiya, how ya doin'...good to meet you. Same deal here IMO.
I frequently take some time finding just the right GIF to post as I feel it both amuses AND conveys more than mere words.

RTF, take it from me. Your short, often funny welcome posts to new members have been noted and are appreciated, by us, as well as new members, as we mods can't be across all posts on all boards. Just keep doin' what you're doin'

Greetings,
Mr. Peter B...ET AL...
tumblr_llmz5rc87n1qafrh6.gif

Multiple references have been made describing me as "crazy". Crazy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
UNLESS the connotation is with respect to 2c from the above link, you are ALL sadly mistaken and I could take offense but, by nature, I am a magnanimous sort, I'll overlook your situational unawareness.
Regarding a "greeting" GIF or one describing ones screen name/avatar...alas, that's is not about to happen. I haven't the time, what with feeding the livestock, polishing my incorrect bottom fastening apparatus (notice I didn't say ANCHOR...what...wait oh dayum), communing with this vessels wildlife (flies, ants and spiders), navel gazing, NOT praying to any and all assorted deities, having nicotine fits and enjoying my daily snoozes. As an aside, knowing some members aversion to my almost patent "Welcome aboard", a standard greeting GIF would get annoying even more quickly I suspect BUT maybe.....

tumblr_marcunR7OB1r9v5j8.gif

Nope, too controversial what with the gun and all....or....

tumblr_inline_n53xl5mOxb1qafrh6.gif

Might only apply to trunk cabin vessels...or...

tumblr_inline_n0sv106mea1qafrh6.gif

Do you see the problem?

Newbies? Nope, welcome aboard and that's it, mostly. After all, forewarned is forearmed.

What a beige world if we all conformed/confined ourselves to 'normal'. I'm shooting for nermal myself; able to move about within society, yet take tangential views so as to avoid becoming a herd animal :thumb: :)

GIF ON RT!

Last edited:
RTF, I like "Hello Sweetie". It would be better if she had a ground connection device in the other hand.

Wifey B, My brain is not as fast as it used to be. I had to think about that for a while. But once I got it I LOL. I think LOL is what young folks say when they mean "laughed out loud".

Wifey B:

Basic Premise: We all boat for pleasure

Corollary: We are here for pleasure

Additional Basis: RTF is entertaining.

Logical carry through: Entertainment is pleasurable.

Conclusive evidence: RTF brings us all pleasure with his zaniness, quirkiness, and just plain weirdness.....hehe

Like for real dudes and dudettes. Sometimes we get too serious here and on other forums and forget they're fun places. And the autosend welcome to the forums do nothing for me. Not sure about others. But at least you know RTF took a moment to think about it. (Now admittedly him thinking can be dangerous). And that is appreciated.

One question I wonder though. Is his posting here really a true reflection of him. If so, a fun dude. Or is it another side he can't normally express and this is his outlet. If so, he should let it in day to day more.

Some get so serious, they anchor things down.

Ok, coming back at y'all re a 'like' button

Ok, as promised, we have run this past the 'committee', and the general feeling is to not do this. Why..?

1. it is not easy technically, as not part of the original forum software, and in fiddling with it to add some new function, existing functions have a way of receiving bugs. (Boy I can really relate to that issue myself as a user of continually 'refined' medical software..!)

2. Other members have had experience of this feature, or similar, on other forums, and there is a tendency for the 'thanks/like/reputation' type of feature to become something of a "me too" social club. Often a handful of 'old guard' regulars will tend to "like" each other's posts regardless of topic or content. Those same members then display huge reputation points potentially lending credibility to that poster a value perhaps greater than merited. At the extreme it can be quite divisive. Something we do not want, and was the final turn-off for the idea some mods found in the past when researching this exact idea.

I trust the membership will therefore be happy with the status quo. Several have already indicated this, anyway. I would however like to take up the valid point the OP raised when he started this thread, and that was to use the thank button with more caution. Make it really mean something, by if possible adding a personal note as to why you felt moved to thank the poster, rather than just clicking on it.

If you just want to indicate a thumbs up for the post, and keep it simple and do just that, as many do already, with the thumbs up emoticon, (you need to be in the more advanced reply window, not quick reply, to get those), or as some do, just a +1. Then you have your de facto 'like' button, anyway.

Cheers all, and it's ok, you don't need to thank me...

We want a like button!Not a reputation rating.

awdb1A0.gif

:hide:

To me a "Thanks" means someone took the time to read my post which encourages me to post more. I like the "Thanks" button and generally write a note with it and don't use it as a sidestep to writing more. "Thanks" for opening up this discussion. I wish that I could write more to offer something but I don't own my trawler yet we close on it Thursday or Friday and motor it to Maine for the winter. Maybe then I can add more than a "Thanks to the forums.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. TT. Whoa! Too little information! What, where, why etc...If you don't wish to show your hand at this point, I expect a full written report after closing (Next Fri. or Sat.) please.
tumblr_inline_n08raihGZI1r3zat8.gif

Back
Top Bottom