ZF Hurth 220A Oil change questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
For those of you who have this transmission, do you drain the oil through the dipstick hole or is there a drain plug and, if there is, where is it located? I see two largish hex plugs on the bottom of the aft part of the transmission. Is one of these for draining oil? I have been draining through the dipstick, which is a pain, but I'd like to rig up a permanent oil drain hose arrangement as is on our main engine (Cummins 6BTA) and on our Westerbeke 5.0kw BCDB generator.

Also, is there an oil filter on the ZF 220A? I don't see one and I don't think that there is one, but I want to be sure I am not overlooking a maintenance item.

Lowest plug centered under shaft coupling is drain. Plug to the port side hides a metallic strainer.

Apparently, one needs "permission" to view that link.

Hmm. Try it again please. Not used to google drive. Changed permission to general public, I think.

Thanks

Thanks DWHatty! I've got this transmission on my Mainship 390 and I've been looking for this document. -Norm

I sure wish there were a remote line for this. Mine is way too low in the bilge to get a container under it.

Back
Top Bottom