Sad day.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Took the boat today on a 3 hour jaunt to the boatyard to be hauled for the season.
cry.gif

Beautiful fall day on the water.

Now its time to start the off season projects on her. That's fun too.
smile.gif

David,
Our summers in Louisiana can be hot and humid enough to take the fun out of boating. For me the Fall and Spring tend to be the premium time to be on the boat as long as the winds cooperate. We had lots of activity at the marina today.

I'll mirror what Steve said and that includes Florida. For me it seems the boat projects have no season.

Here in Vancouver, the season is also winding down. Many boats out of their slips at the marina today, and next weekend is the annual Thanksgiving long weekend, so most will not put the boat away before then. After next weekend, however, many boats in our marina will not see any action until Easter. Only the real keeners will do any more than projects over the winter, despite moderate temperatures.
I have started a few projects already, and will likely have things apart to the extent that actually using the boat will not happen until the projects are done.

sorry to hear that! Here in the Atlanta area we keep our boats in the water year round...we'll get a few cold days but then again, we can get in the 70's now and then in January so you never know.

Well, David, I'm sure you and your boat and will be happier in dry storage this and every Maine winter.* You needn't feel sorry unless you didn't take your boat out this boating season as much as you wanted or you don't like living in your environment.* You do have choices.

dwhatty wrote:
"Now its time to start the off season projects on her. That's fun too."
smile.gif
Dave:

I can't believe your season is over already! Are they tapping the maple trees yet or does that happen after a cold snap?

I'm interested in the projects that you want to do this winter.

Below, we are getting ready for a very cold winter. The sea birds must be fed by hand before starting their long trek north to Los Angeles.
nana.gif

Walt

Attachments

• gull feeding.jpg
    gull feeding.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 74
  • gull close-up.jpg
    gull close-up.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 67
Very sorry to here the end of the season talk. It always makes me sad to look back at the years and relationships that have passed under the keel (so to speak) during the end of the season dock walks. Three cheers to year round enthusiasm and warm weather!

AS a liveaboard in NYC , the season never ended, but did come to a standstill when iced in.

If we were lucky , the bay wasn't frozen on New Years Day , so we would start the year with a sail.

Usually the NYD sail was the only time the boat would be rigged for a blow , Sweedish Mainsail , and small storm jib.

Amazing , in a 30K breeze we would be wishing for the 45K puffs for extra fun.

We are getting to some of the best boating of the year around here as the wind machine pretty much shuts off in the winter (other*than if there is a storm*moving through)*so we have calm conditions and it can actually be warmer or as warm as our "summer."* We had a great cruise this past weekend to a neighboring city and made plans for a*thanksgiving cruise*to a local state park and*a December cruise to* San Francisco to visit*the seasonal open air ice skating rink.

All this feedback about year round boating definitely makes me feel as if I should make a geographical relocation. On the other hand, as a born and bred New Englander who has visited other climes during various times of the year, I think that I would miss our varying and distinct seasons here. (Must be masochism). But, I do enjoy the "off season" during which I can pay attention to other toys, the house and yard, and generally wind down/hunker down/slow down for a couple of months, as well as work on boat projects and dream of next boating season. Still, I wish global warming might hurry up so Maine might have at least two more months of good boating season each year. That would be heaven.

SeaHorse II wrote:

dwhatty wrote:
"Now its time to start the off season projects on her. That's fun too."
smile.gif
Dave:

I can't believe your season is over already! Are they tapping the maple trees yet or does that happen after a cold snap?

I'm interested in the projects that you want to do this winter.

Below, we are getting ready for a very cold winter. The sea birds must be fed by hand before starting their long trek north to Los Angeles.
nana.gif

Walt

Walt:

First of all, raspberries to you for your cold winter preps comment. Come and help us snow blow the drive in a couple of months to atone. (They tap maples in the spring by the way).

Winter projects? In no particular order and, as they say in my profession,* including, but not limited to, the following:

Replace the propane copper line with new line and proper (none now) thru bulkhead fittlings.

Install salt water wash down at anchor pulpit. (Did freshwater washdown with outlets on both sides of boat last year).

Install dual Racor Max fuel filters (Got a good deal on eBay).

Install engine room fire suppression system.

Put in proper seacocks with backing blocks. The boat has 5 thru hulls, on 3 of which the "seacocks" are of the "no no" in line valve type, 2 of which are of proper type, and none of which has a backing block.

Do some machining on the tiller arm so that the attachment point for the hydraulic ram will be 6" from the rudder post vs 8". This at the suggestion of the US Hydrive rep as the cheapest and easiest way to reduce the lock to lock on the steering from almost 6 turns to a little over 4. We found almost 6 to be a bit hairy in 20-25 kt wind following seas this summer.

Learn how to do gelcoat repairs and then doing it to some of the cracks, nicks, dents and dings that have accumulated on the boat since she was built.

Strip and paint chipped aluminum window trim and screen trim.

Selective interior refinishing and perhaps some teak veneer replacement for a couple of water stained areas.

Replace a couple of more drawers with full roll out slide systems (with locks). Did this to one drawer last winter under the helm seat for flatware and wife loved it.

And if the winter drags on too long, I'm sure I can find other things to do. If it is a short winter, then triage the list.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Monday 4th of October 2010 05:47:08 PM

dwhatty wrote:(They tap maples in the spring by the way).
Didn't know that!

Your list is very impressive and most of what you listed should be done on my boat as well. I should do the duel Racor and fire suppression thing PDQ. I have a salt water washdown on the bow and the hose and nozzle reside in the starboard chain locker.

I really like your approach to the tiller as I agree, 6 turns stop to stop is too much. A much larger rudder (articulating or fish tail) would really help that problem too.
Articulating Rudders It certainly won't slow me down anymore than the speed I have now.

I commend you on your ambition but after completing four years with this boat, I'm flat out of ambition.

I* must get back to the marina as our really great boating time of the year is just starting.

I'm with you David. I'm looking fwd to some lazy winter days learning how to run this computer, spell better, do some on-line shopping and catch up socially w friends and relatives. By feb or March i'll be like a bull in a small pen eager for spring. They day it's to blow 50 to 60 mph tomorrow. Glad I'm not going on the ferry. Don't know about global warming but the last two yrs have been quite mild here but one of my friends here just said we're supposed to have lots of snow. OK I can do snow fine up to about 3 - 4'. And then we can walk to the store if it gets deeper.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 363.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 363.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 76
Dwatty, I thought my list of to-dos, but yours leaves mine for dead. Of course in our parts, the boating season never ends, (no, I didn't do that evil chuckle...did I), so it's hard to have time to deal with lists that long, so that's why I've had to spread it over....well...about 8 yrs now, give or take a bit....that's my story anyway.

The end of summer marks the beginning of the best boating season of the year here. From September through May and sometimes even June if it stays cold enough, the boating can be outstanding. Some of our best boating trips into the islands have been in December, January, and February. All the rug-rats and yard-apes are in school, people aren't taking boating vacations, and the marine parks and anchorages can be completely deserted.

One of the most popular island destinations here is Sucia, and in July and August the place is like a zoo. Boats everywhere, kids roaring around in dinghies, loud parties, etc. Even the wildlife leaves for quieter places. But we've been the only boat sometimes at Sucia during December, January and February. The herons and otters are back along with the eagles and ravens and kingfishers.

Our "Sad Day" is July 5, as this is when boating hell comes to the PNW. Our "Happy Day" is the day after Labor Day.

dwhatty wrote:

But, I do enjoy the "off season" during which I can pay attention to other toys, the house and yard, and generally wind down/hunker down/slow down for a couple of months, as well as work on boat projects and dream of next boating season.
there is something to be said for the time to work on things OTHER than the boat.* We have a tough time with that.*

Eric,
Last year we had 268" of snow in Whittier. I shoveled every inch of it off my boat.

SD

SD,A lot more than we had. Last two years we've had mild winters. A few inches of snow most of the time. Rain snow rain snow...............and then several inches for a few days the rsrsrsrs. One source people rely on said we're going to get it (snow) this year. Oh well.......
got lots of indoor projects on the slate but I know oi'll be REALLY ready for spring when it FINALLY comes. Here I am shoveling snow off my boat 3 yrs ago.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 326.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 326.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 84
We're moving our boat this weekend for haul out also. Its about 2 weeks earlier than normal but I've got some projects to be done before the cold sets in.

Gonna remove the fuel injector pump and injectors. Getting rebuilt injectors and will have the pump rebuilt as well.
Have to wax the hull which hasnt been done in a while.
Adding another wire way tube to the fly bridge. Mine is FULL now.
Prepping for a major electronics installation in the spring.
Will install a new depth xducer this winter while on the hard.

nomadwilly wrote:*One source people rely on said we're going to get it (snow) this year. Oh well.......
What kind of heater does Willy have?

Mark,We have a Wabasto. I modified the thermostat so it will function down to 40 degrees. When it's cool I set the thermostat for 70 degrees and forget all about the cool until I go out on deck or open a window. But the biggest benefit of the thermostat controlled Wabasto is that it keeps the boat at a nearly constant temperature all night. We're never cold in the morning. It's rather quiet.The unit is aft and we sleep fwd. The exhaust is out the transom. We also have a small bus heater also known as a "Red Dot" (brand name I spoze). It's fan is quite noisy and we rarely use it. I plan on installing a small 16K BTU diesel bulkhead heater/stove w a "carburetor" and little bot bellied burner. We take heat seriously up here. Three sources of heat is my goal. Icing and visibility can be a real problem in winter and I've only "pickled" my boat once. Boating in winter is dangerous but I just love to run well out into Clarence Strait when it's clear, calm and about 10 or 15 degrees. It's just beautiful. And I take a bunch to Christmas dinner down the Bay most every year.

Back
Top Bottom