On the hard again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Sherpa
Vessel Make
24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
More work is needed on Sherpa. She's been on the hard for over a month at Progressive Marine Service in St. Petersburg receiving some more work to keep her 100%. I'll post some photos in the near future. I really miss being out on the water!

- V-berth windows are leaking and cracked with age. I'm replacing with slightly darker windows for privacy.
- Engine is being pulled for repainting. Also had a stuck bolt that needed torching to remove.
- Some fiberglass work to repair small deck crazing at the bow and aft.
- Miscellaneous cosmetic repairs/touch-ups.
- New cabin door.
- Bottom job.

Are you buying windows with darker glass, or having some tinted? I've often wondered about having windows tinted and how it would hold up in a marine environment.

Have fun with your projects. Working on a boat is a labor of love. Now go have fun with your baby.

Thanks and will do! The original v-berth windows are acrylic, but they are badly crazed after almost 35 years--not bad though. I am replacing the windows with "medium" tinted acrylic for more privacy. Hopefully, the windows will last another 35 years!

The old cabin door is tinted acrylic but we are going with a solid fiberglass door for more privacy.

I'm tired of having my wife "keep watch" while I'm using the head at the marina. :blush:

Last edited:
> Some fiberglass work to repair small deck crazing at the bow and aft.<

Deck crazing is not just cosmetic, something Failed , and caused the cracks.

I have about four, small hairline cracks (3-4 inches long) in the gelcoat. I'm addressing it before it gets worse.

I feel your pain!

My boat's been on the hard since September and is expected to stay at the yard until Spring of next year. She needs a lot of work, but the most time consuming being a total refastening. I chose the Monel fasteners for longevity's sake (i have a wooden vessel), but I had no idea they had to make them...in China, no doubt! Still, despite the long time at the yard, I know that once she's launched in the Spring, I can keep her in the water through the season, if not all year before she needs another haul-out. Anyway, That's what keeps me going...but patience is not my virtue!

But yeah, I can sympathize. It's been so long, in fact, sometimes I wonder if I even have a boat at all...until I get the monthly bill! :eek:

The dark window will give more privacy , but also more heat into the cabin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom