New CG Fee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
I got a letter from the CG yesterday which states that any renewal of the USCG Certificate of Documentation expiring after November 10th must be accompanied by $26.00.

Sorry if this has been posted before now.

I had heard rumblings about this but you are the first that I see got the letter. I guess mine will be in the mail soon. Just one more thing to add to the boat bucks. :)

And there you go...
Small fee in comparison to the fee we pay for the registration each year. At least in Florida....

And there you go...
Small fee in comparison to the fee we pay for the registration each year. At least in Florida....

In SC my registration fee would be $30 for three years. That's $10 per year and that's what I have to pay for my dinghy.

For all the trouble and the numbers and decal on my boat, I don't think it's worth it to change. I spent more than $26 the last time I ate at a restaurant.

My Florida registration is $122.50 if I do it in my home county because of a waterfront tax. If I drive 20 miles to the closest inland county it is $82.50. It just happens that located in this inland county are two very fine BBQ joints. Since I love BBQ, I renew my registration while I am over there. The $40.00 savings will buy a lot of BBQ.

My Florida registration is $122.50 if I do it in my home county because of a waterfront tax. If I drive 20 miles to the closest inland county it is $82.50. It just happens that located in this inland county are two very fine BBQ joints. Since I love BBQ, I renew my registration while I am over there. The $40.00 savings will buy a lot of BBQ.

The fee isn't based on your home address or where the boat is kept? That's odd.

I just wish they would do it for more than a year at a time.

In Florida you can renew in any county that you please and for two years if you want. You can also pay your sales tax on a purchase in any county. The tax is uniform at 6% even though some counties have higher rates.

And, the BBQ was excellent. Just got back.

In SC my registration fee would be $30 for three years. That's $10 per year and that's what I have to pay for my dinghy.

For all the trouble and the numbers and decal on my boat, I don't think it's worth it to change. I spent more than $26 the last time I ate at a restaurant.

That's what it is on my Jboat,$30 every 3 years.I debated about state or USCG reg when i build the big boat.

My boat is documented, but also registered in RI, where it's moored and stored all year. With the new fee, I'm now questioning the need for the CG documentation. Why should I keep the boat documented? Not planning on leaving the US.

John

Then of course there are us guys with older boats in Florida. My yearly registration for the trawler is only $5.00 ($9.25 for a two-year registration). The dinghy is more expensive than the trawler, at $11.50 for a year. So clearly CG registration is not for me! :)

If you have a preferred mortgage on a boat (most lenders I think that's what they use)...you have to have the boat documented (I think)...

Hopefully one of out infamous brokers can clarify...:D

The fee isn't based on your home address or where the boat is kept? That's odd.

In SC the registration is the same regardless where you live. It is the taxes that are based on the address.

Can we take a state reg'd only boat to Canada and point south?My boat will fall on that line of maybe not being big enough for USCG reg's.

Well, if that is what it takes to keep those ugly registration numbers off the boat's sides, I'll pay up.

img_275226_0_f474d623327b482885455711be407303.jpg

Plenty of boats cross from WA into BC without being documented. They have to provide a registration number instead.

Here we go again, Andy!

Well, if that is what it takes to keep those ugly registration numbers off the boat's sides, I'll pay up.

That works fine for our boats but our Rib's look awful. Then you put 3' of numbers and a sticker on a 10' boat it really stands out.

That works fine for our boats but our Rib's look awful. Then you put 3' of numbers and a sticker on a 10' boat it really stands out.

Same deal with my 9' Jboat.:nonono:

Yes!
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1413168006.397595.jpg

No sails, no motor, no numbers.

232323232%7Ffp543%3B%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A273%3B%3A336nu0mrj

I just read that if "Just confirmed with the CG that if you renew early, your new expiration date is the date of renewal (plus a year), not your old expiration date. So, if you renew early, you actually lose some of the "free" documentation you had!" New fee starts November 10, 2014 so if you are due soon you can save $26.00

You can paint (or use a permanent marker) your registration numbers on an inflatable but trying to keep the state decal on one that you inflate and deflate often is pretty near impossible.

........New fee starts November 10, 2014 so if you are due soon you can save $26.00.

WOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the heads up.

Guys, I do not like paying fees or taxes anymore than anyone else. I guess the message is to renew on time not earlier. Now that being said, if there is one organization I do not mind chipping in a little more for it is th USCG. $26 bucks a year.....REALLY, $26.00.

Excuse me but I have some serious worrying to do, for instance, my boxer stack by my color coding is out of order and my sock drawer is messed up.

Hobart

I don't think the $26.00 is the issue. But I'm from Massachusetts and Gov Romney cut taxes for some and increased the fees for all. So I have a raw edge to new ever increasing government Fees. The new income stream to the Coast Guard from this fee will most likely be more than spent in the new costs to collect it. IMHO I bet it's $100.00+ in a few years.

Not trying to go OTDE, but the government agencies that, in this case especially look after us boaters, need funds to operate. I want across the board taxes with funds provided for all.. Look at the political climate... It certainally is not all for one these days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom