View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Really nice looking craft - Congrats!

Seems most if not all service items have already been accomplished.

However, unless you feel very confident in your prowess... Before you go test cruising, when it first arrives and gets docked, I recommend you have qualified marine mechanic carefully look things over. 2 to 4 hrs +/- could save a bunch of headache if perchance there were a glitch about to happen somehow/somewhere. When you do a full-on shakedown I also recommend you have at least one person aboard that is knowledgeable regarding mechanisms present on that boat... in so far as understanding items that may/may not occur and how to handle the affair if something does happen.

Little note here: When I got my Tollycraft I had full knowledge of the many, many services accomplished just before purchase. Then, I hired a well known marine mechanic to go over things and to alter a few situations in ways I preferred. Mechanic and I took her out for about an hour with engine hatches open and all went A-OK. She seemed in great condition; sooo…, next day, off I went with wife and a couple friends (fellow being a long time well versed boater). We headed toward Golden Gate Bridge for about two hours, went under and turned around heading back deeper into the bay. Couple more hours cruise and I set hook just off China Camp beach, a historic location. Was a bit breezy so we left bridge to have lunch in salon with the gals. While there I decided to open one hatch to ER in salon floor. That’s when I learned a problem. Starboard motor’s raw water pump had developed a fracture. There was over 6” sea water throughout bilge center. Three bilge pumps made short order of that as it was not leaking unless motor was running. And, even with motor running engine remained cool with pumps easily able to handle leak.

Soon repaired with new pump… and life goes on!

But, when ya least expect it – Expect It!

Happy New Boat Daze! – Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote