Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Waiting for "Manyboats" on so many aspects of this Canal "Boat" :D It will be a hoot!.:rofl: Tick-tick-tick-tick- - - - -
Al

Hey! what happened to the "popcorn and under the chair" Icons???:eek:

Waiting for "Manyboats" on so many aspects of this Canal "Boat" :D It will be a hoot!.:rofl: Tick-tick-tick-tick- - - - -
Al

Hey! what happened to the "popcorn and under the chair" Icons???:eek:

Al, click on more in the little emotocon window at right. It will open a large window with them all.

Thanks Conrad, I had an interest in canal boats for a few years. Here is a portion of a subject thread were I introduce a few of my favorites
Dutch Barge long distance cruisers - Page 20 - Boat Design Forums

A couple of items on that listing that caught my attention:
1) The description appears to be written as though the owner (or whoever) was intending to build these vessels?
2) It says a fiberglass hull, but the bilge areas make it look to be some sort of epoxy saturated wood construction??

I know that this will twist the window gang bonkers. Too juicy to not post. Hummmmm.:D:lol:

Bulldog 26, Mini Tug

Al

PS: found the "Hiding under the chair" icon, no Popcorn icon.:confused:

Great Republic

Yesterday, I had the amazing opportunity to watch the Great Lakes freighter, Great Republic, enter the Manistee inlet and head up the Manistee River to a dockage site on Lake Manistee. It had to pass thru 2 bridges on the way. This boat is 635 feet long and 68 feet wide. To put things in perspective the Manistee River is like a deeper version of the Great Ditch down around south Florida with several gentle bends. The smaller bridge, the Maple St bridge is about 125' wide but the kicker is there is a bend right after the bridge. Well, she made it through flawlessly but it was a sight to behold. I looked the boat up on the web and found she has eight rudders, both bow and stern thrusters, twin diesel engines (producing 7,200 b.h.p.) driving the two variable pitch propellers housed in strengthened Kort Nozzles. She is considered to be the most nimble and maneuverable ship in the world.

Great Republic, American Republic, MMSI 368183000, IMO 7914236

We now return to our regularly scheduled anchor debate.

Attachments

• greatrepublic.jpg
    greatrepublic.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 77
Hello everyone. I am a new member to the forum and this is one of my first posts. As you can see, I don't have a boat yet, but I'm still working that. Being a NUB, I apologize if this the wrong place to ask this question, but has anyone heard of Beckmann trawlers? I've tried to research them online without much success. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Greetings X-Nuke, :flowers:
Maybe but some one of the forum's fine, honest,flexable, some handsome, some not so, and the women moderators outstanding,:smitten: will officially redirect you or your post.:D:lol:

In the meanwhile, not aware of the boat brand you are inquiring aside, welcome to perhaps the most active boating community forum. Very diverse, just a hint, :socool: I always speak the truth and am unlimited in boating knowledge, when you read my post know all is well:dance:

Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska:rofl::popcorn:

...has anyone heard of Beckmann trawlers? I've tried to research them online without much success. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

They have had one for sale at Fort Pierce for almost infinity it seams. It is steel hulled. You can find it on Yachtworld. I am surprised they never offered it on on eBay ...probably because no one would bid over $1K for it since the surface has been neglected for so long. Possibly, it is a one off by a barge builder.

Hello everyone. I am a new member to the forum and this is one of my first posts. As you can see, I don't have a boat yet, but I'm still working that. Being a NUB, I apologize if this the wrong place to ask this question, but has anyone heard of Beckmann trawlers? I've tried to research them online without much success. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Is this what you are looking for?

1995 33 (ft.) Beckmann Firefly 33 "Tug" Boat for sale in Pompano Beach, FL. | ID 93424

Here is a link from Fred's blog, "The Travel's of Tug 44", with pictures of the annual Waterford Tugboat Roundup. This event has a variety of real and private tugs that all come together for this celebration. Looks like a lot of fun. It may be difficult to say whether a specific boat is a trawler, but it certainly easy to spot a working tug. My favorite is the mini-tug "What a Tripp".

Waterford Tugboat Roundup 2014

The picture of the Waterford Pier shows the exact spot we tied up and stayed the better part of 3 weeks waiting for repairs to the Erie Canal dams caused by heavy flooding. The wooden dock is a floating dock and the water level peaked a foot higher than the cement dock on the left (with the white/green sign), and flooded into the nearby waterfront building.

There used to be a Beckmann Boatshop in Rhode Island, they built a few steam launches.

There used to be a Beckmann Boatshop in Rhode Island, they built a few steam launches.

The Firefly was a one off from them I believe. When launched it actually had a dark green superstructure for some reason but later was painted a more traditional white.

Saw this boat in Catalina gettin' the poop pumped out. It is a 38' Pacific Seacraft "fast trawler" that had a short production run (3 years) and folded. When it debuted, we got an invite from the dealer in Dana Point and went for a look see. The workmanship was excellent. With a modified "V" hull it was powered by CAT 3116s and then CAT 3126s and moved right along. Access to the flybridge was from the top of the aft cabin, no ladder. The athwarthship bunk in the aft cabin was odd but overall we liked it, kinda pricey though, which might have led to it's early demise.

Attachments

• Catalina Trip 027.jpg
    Catalina Trip 027.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Catalina Trip 028 (1024x768).jpg
    Catalina Trip 028 (1024x768).jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 179
I think there is a 46' Beckman for sale in Ft pierce. It has an 8-71 for power. Needs a lot of attention. Beckman built in steel in the 80's . Trawlers, small steamers and I believe some fish boats.

The ICW southbound migration is definitely picking up. We're having some great cruising weather.

The variety of designs keeps the "backyard" interesting.

I think these folks are lookin' pretty good. The second guy is probably heading to the Georgetown Wooden Boat Show. KJ

1429-albums131-picture1657.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1658.jpg

Saw this boat in Catalina gettin' the poop pumped out. It is a 38' Pacific Seacraft "fast trawler" that had a short production run (3 years) and folded. When it debuted, we got an invite from the dealer in Dana Point and went for a look see. The workmanship was excellent. With a modified "V" hull it was powered by CAT 3116s and then CAT 3126s and moved right along. Access to the flybridge was from the top of the aft cabin, no ladder. The athwarthship bunk in the aft cabin was odd but overall we liked it, kinda pricey though, which might have led to it's early demise.

The 38T was ill-conceived right from the start. The hull is from a successful 33' sportfisherman that I drew in the late 1980's. But the 38T was too short to be a good aft-cabin high-speed hull. The size of the aft cabin pushed the engines and the tanks too far forward. She came out overweight and was a lot more expensive to build than expected, so PS lost a lot of money on the first bunch. The boat was just too small to look really good from all angles (see the picture) and cost what she did.

Ah, that second boat!

Last edited:
Poetry in motion.

I know that this will twist the window gang bonkers. Too juicy to not post. Hummmmm.:D:lol:

Bulldog 26, Mini Tug

Al

PS: found the "Hiding under the chair" icon, no Popcorn icon.:confused:

Id probably have to go on a diet to get through those pilothouse doors! Even the, it looks like a pretty tight squeeze!

I keep my boat at Onekama and have not noticed a GB 32 there. There is another trawler there that could possibly be a GB but thought it was another Taiwanese boat. I never looked at it too closely and can't see enough from the pic in the ad to tell if it is the other trawler at Onekama.

Back
Top Bottom