New boat owners / new members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drake

Guru
Vessel Name
Small World
Vessel Make
Defever 50
My wife and I took a break from active boating for almost 30 years so we could raise a brood of goslings. Now that they are grown and independent (more or less), our interest rekindled (honestly mine more than hers). But, being the wonderful supportive wife she is, pretty soon we found ourselves in full search mode. Our last boat was a Defever 44, which i have missed everday since we sold her almost 30 years ago.

We started our search for another 44, but nothing lit us up. Then, by accident, i stumbled across a very lightly used Defever 50. Encouraged by Roguewave (watch out for that guy), wife and I began investigating the boat. We fell in love, but unfortunately too late. Someone else beat us to the altar with that lovely lass.

Never ones to give in to a few setbacks when destiny is at stake, we kept looking for 50's. Then, lo and behold, we found a brand new boat, a comely beauty, that had our names written all over her. She beckoned. We responded.

Today, October 7 (my birthday, by the way,) we made it official and made her ours.

Now the fun begins.

We look forward to getting to know all of you and picking your considerable collective brains. Hopefully, along the way we can lend an idea or two to earn our keep.

Congrats and welcome. This is one of the best forums I've ever subscribed to -- it's very helpful, and I've learned a lot here.

Enjoy your Defever. The 49 Pilothouse model is on my short list of two-foot-itis upgrades. (Ok, ok.... so it's 15-foot-itis. I still like it :) )

We looked at the 49 cockpit, 49 PH and a beautiful 52PH. None of them lit us up like the 50 cockpit. A marriage made in Heaven.

Welcome Aboard and congrats!!:thumb:

Welcome…and pictures asap please.

Welcome! Where will you be keeping her? We are slowly working our way back to Kemah (probably Blue Dolphin).

Welcome aboard

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

"Never ones to give in to a few setbacks when destiny is at stake...." well said and quotable.

Before we took delivery.

Attachments

• 3848884_20130622102601693_1_XLARGE.jpg
    3848884_20130622102601693_1_XLARGE.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 106
Now that's the real deal. Big enough to have effectively a rear cockpit, albeit not large, plus sun deck anyway, a must in my view, and the sheer luxury of the aft cabin to boot..!

I'm not always a DeFever fan but dat's a wonderful looking boat.
Looks like the pilothouse windows are high enough to see over the bow easily at the helm and I do like the aft cockpit. Overall looks shouts of a well balanced boat.

Thanks for the kind words about our new baby. There is a clear view across the bow from the inside helm. Of course, the view from the upper helm is much better, but the weather does not always cooperate, even in our Texas climate. The deck space is one of the things we like best about the Defever 44/45 and 49/50. We seem to often have several guests onboard, and those decks are very popular.

And, the aft stateroom is a real luxury.

When we had a Defever 44, I couldn't see much sense in having the cockpit like on the 49's. However, when we were looking at boats this go around, I became a believer in the cockpit. It provides tremendous lazarette storage (can never have too much space for fenders, lines, etc etc). It also makes it easier getting on an off, particularly at a floating dock. That wasn't such a factor when we were in our 30's, but as we have gotten older, our enthusiasm for gymnastics has diminished.

Welcome aboard! Good to see you here amongst this large group of boating friends! I must admit, I never thought you would beat me thru the trawler door :socool:
enjoy.... my friend :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom