Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #19
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle911 View Post
I'll try reversing the levers when I get home tonight. Although when I entered the boat right after the purchase they where in the position they are in now, my assumption is red- forward, revers, neutral and green- throttle.
Sorry to be a wet blanket Kyle, but assuming there is no deficient contact along the way, and the battery is up there enough to not be it, then that click is indeed the solenoid attempting to activate the starter, and if bridging the solenoid does not work, and it is not that often the solenoid alone that's the issue, then like I had to do on my FL 120 about a year after I bought it, you will probably be up for a recondition of the starter motor itself. Not in itself all that costly actually, and mine has never missed a beat ever since, now 11 years later. The brushes etc do wear eventually, but it is not a bad thing to have happen now, and not when far away from a good mechanic. Get her re-con'd and you'll not regret it. Unless, that is, you find a silly simple explanation in the immediate future.

Oh yes,, it won't be your levers. Mine does not have a lock-out either, and I think the colour of the knobs is back to front on mine as well, but what the hell…as long as you know which does what…I have applied dymo label stickers to designate throttle and gears and what is cruise speed, forward, reverse etc so it is idiot proof - nearly.