Transducer help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbevins

Guru
Vessel Name
Keeper IV
Vessel Make
44 Viking ACMY
I recently purchased a Garmin 2010C MFD. It's about 6 yrs old. I'm putting it on my 17'CC. I know nothing about Garmin product so I could use a little advice integrating a transducer. I don't fish so all I really want it for is depth. I can grab an Airmar P79 from a guy on another forum for a really good price (new). Garmin site says it is compatible but I suspect that it doesn't connect directly to the display. Am I right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Airmar makes a bazillion adapter plugs...so check with them....if not almost all can be cut and rewired to any plug...the trick is getting the plug for the back of the Garmin.

That's what I thought, but there is only one cable that plugs into the back. It handles power, nmea and one other adapter.
The transducer uses a dedicated plug I think. I don't think cutting the plug off is going to help me either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Call Garmin they have great tech support.

Your Garmin 2010C MFD will require a GSD 20 Sounder Module to provide depth. Without the sounder module, it is only a GPS/Chartplotter, not a Sounder.

Here is a link to the MFD Owners Manual. See page 88 for a description of the sonar functionality.

Here is a link to the GSD 20 Installation Manual that will describe the connection to the MFD.

You will need a standard Garmin/Airmar 6-pin transducer to plug into the GSD 20 transducer port. I'm pretty sure Airmar can help with an 8-pin to 6-pin adaptor if your P79 has the later plug.

Good luck.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Thanks Larry!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom