View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #61
Alex F

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
It's more like a 75nm detour to Norfolk if you are just steaming along and not stopping to smell the roses, which for us was the whole reason for going the Chessie as we were never confronted with the weather situation Bill has. Really just an extra day at trawler speeds, assuming you are able to make the same speed on either route. In my opinion, weather allowing, once you are outside might as well go all the way to Oregon Inlet if it is in good shape...
You brought up an interesting point, George. The straight run from OC, MD to Oregon Inlet is abut 155NM. So, this leaves only few options, from what I see on AC. Go back 6-7NM to Roanoke Isl (with 3 small marinas on the southern end of the Island). Or continue heading south for another 30-35NM to Hatteras, or even another 10NM further to Ocracoke?

Well, it seems like the inlet is not advisable:

"Oregon Inlet, about 2.5 miles southward of Bodie Island Light, is entered over a shifting bar. A lighted whistle buoy marks the approach; other buoys, not charted, are frequently shifted in position to mark the best water. A fish haven is about 4.5 miles southeast of the lighted whistle buoy. The inlet, used by local fishing vessels, but not recommended to strangers, requires continuous dredging; it deepens with northwest winds and fills in with northeast winds."

On my past trips south and back north, despite the fact that I was trying to save time and skip C&D route, I still enjoyed the VA Cut. After being out on the open from mid point of NJ to Norfolk, it's nice to have a little break, especially when the weather is not playing very nicely. However, I'm always keeping my options open for new ideas.
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote