Single lever control for bow thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Capt.Bill11.
:eek: Oops, sorry, I guess there's no chance of me getting into politics... :D

Price please

[
This sounds fantastic, I did read about this set up a few years back in a book, I am thinking about buying a barge and think this would be an excellent feature.

If I could get a quote that would be excellent, what information do you need to know from me to make it happen ??

Kind Regards,
Richie

QUOTE=HopCar;268245]When I first heard the plan, it just seemed like a natural to me. When I'm maneuvering I seem to always have my hand on the throttle/gear control. Why would I want to take my hand off to activate the thruster? With Rover's idea you just use your thumb.

With one hand you control, speed, forward, neutral, reverse and where the bow goes. I like it. Leaves your other hand free to hold the beer as you back into the slip.:D

I think control manufactures are really missing a good bet if they don't come out with controls designed and marketed for this application.[/QUOTE]

JaneyMac.
Thank you for your interest in the controls. If you buy the controls from Hopcar he's a top man and he'll treat you right, do be sure before you buy what type of control, top mounted or side mounted (I made that mistake with one of them and Hopcar helped me greatly) he'll put 'experimental equipment' on the customs form to make it duty free.
Where are you based ? I can put you in touch with Liam D'Arcy at Riversdale marina where I kept my boat and who fitted my set up.
What type of barge were you thinking of ? Where do you plan to cruise ?
That will determine the size of the bow thruster (always buy the size above the manufacturers recommendation) as they only test them in calm conditions and when you need help in windy/tidal conditions, you need help.
The single lever hand control wiring is simple, you use standard 12v cable from the switch down to a solenoid/relay to activate the heavy duty cable supply for the bow thruster motor.
The second photo in my post above is of a round s/steel disc with a simple up/down switch, obviously the 'up' position is for the flybridge and 'down' for the lower helm.

As things have moved forward technically I would recommend you fit only a brushless motor type.
The reason is that the older bow thruster motors use carbon brushes and when the motor is used they produce tiny amounts of black carbon dust which build up over time and make a darn dusty mess around the motor, I got around this by making a square tent like cover from an old sheet which allows the motor to breathe and yet captures all the fine carbon dust.
Should you ever need to check/service the motor you simply gently ease the old dust cover off (to keep the dust from spilling) place it carefully in a large plastic sack for disposal and then a quick clean around.
Make a new dust sheet to replace the old one when you've finished.

If you need any more info just contact me via here or a private message and I'll help you if I can.

Last edited:
Hi Irish

Funny enough I was on to Mr Darcy to enquirer if he had anything for sale, sadly he has nothing at present.
Not too far away from Liam is Gavin Hart, he has a 13m Dutch barge for sale, I have cruiser on the Shannon for sale so nothing will be happening until that gem is gone to a new owner.

I intend to do the SaE during the summer and canals to Dublin winters.

I remembered reading about your setup some time ago and I made a mental note to self, if ever I had a bow truster I would research your setup.

Liam's a good contact, very solid straight guy, I've known him from the early 70's when he was chairman of Belturbet branch and I was chairman of N.Ireland. We worked together (along with many others) to re-open the Ballinamore Ballyconnel (now the Erne Shannon link). He's been involved with the Irish Inland Waterways for over 30 years, he's a good friend, highly respected and a fountain of knowledge.
I kept my Birchwood 33 in his marina for years and then when I retired left to sail down to Spain. Later I bought an ex-Emerald star Shannon class from C-o-S and brought it up to Liam's to fit the bow thruster before we cruised it back to the South of France.
If your interested in that sort of thing I've a couple of books on Amazon with all the details, 'How to Enjoy Cruising', 'Encore' & 'Windmills and Wine', just type the book name and my name Geoff Woolley if they're of any interest to you.
Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Last edited:
Thanks Geoff

Yes I have read your books and driftwood to name a few. That was the book I was referring too, I actually met your traveling friend who made the trip with you..... We met in Seans marina in Belturbet last year and we spoke for about an hour, I could have spent the week talking to that man hearing the stories of your trips....

Best of luck Geoff

Richie

Hi Richie, your welcome. Chatting Pat Butler for an hour ! You were darn lucky he didn't drag you off the 'The Sportsman's' in the square for a few pints and a bit of 'craic'. !
Thank you for buying the books, a 5 star rating would be very apppreciated
You take care and if you need any help just give us a shout.
Geoff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom