This guy should be required to pay for his Rescue!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

This quote from the article: "After a making it 70 nautical miles off the coast of St. Augustine , reports came in to the USCG that Baluchi had started asking for directions to Bermuda on Wednesday, October 1st" reminds me of being flagged down by a two person kyack holding a man, a woman and an 80# Labrador, who asked me which direction Alaska was. They were using a Shell road map for navigation and had no compass. Did I mention this was in Washington State, 700 miles or so from Alaska?

One of the great things about being the wealthiest nation that has ever existed on this planet is that we can afford to save the dumbshits from killing themselves without having to parse who deserves to pay for their rescue and who doesn't. Plus, this kind of idiocy keeps the Coasties trained-up.

My next trip is on a pool float. I'll need 3. One for me of course. One for some snack food. And one to hold the Styrofoam cooler of beer and two bottles of water. Of course, Styrofoam floats, so I could just tow that one behind the snack float.

I'm good to go!!

Reminds me of the guy who thought it would be fun to fly a lawn chair fitted with many helium balloons from CA a few years ago. He got airborne equipped with a pellet gun to shoot out balloons as a way to descend. [STRIKE]Eventually he drifted out over the ocean and had to be rescued by a helicopter. [/STRIKE]

Then there's this guy! What a story.

Probably seemed like a great idea the night before after 12 beers. I bet his like-minded friends were high fiveing him upon his safe return!!

EDIT: Seems there were 5 lawn chair pilots. Apparently Lawn Chair Larry did not drift out to sea...bad recollection on my part.

http://www.markbarry.com/lawnchairman.html

Last edited:
Reminds me of the guy who thought it would be fun to fly a lawn chair fitted with many helium balloons from CA a few years ago. He got airborne equipped with a pellet gun to shoot out balloons as a way to descend. Eventually he drifted out over the ocean and had to be rescued by a helicopter.

Probably seemed like a great idea the night before after 12 beers. I bet his like-minded friends were high fiveing him upon his safe return!!

Larry was unique for sure!

Larry Walters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This quote from the article: "After a making it 70 nautical miles off the coast of St. Augustine , reports came in to the USCG that Baluchi had started asking for directions to Bermuda on Wednesday, October 1st" reminds me of being flagged down by a two person kyack holding a man, a woman and an 80# Labrador, who asked me which direction Alaska was. They were using a Shell road map for navigation and had no compass. Did I mention this was in Washington State, 700 miles or so from Alaska?

Ok, I gotta ask. What did you do? Did you point towards AK? :socool::D

Later,
Dan

Total insanity and irresponsibility. But then most rescues didn't come from wise decisions, just this one is more extreme. It's been talked about many times but charging wouldn't discourage stupid things and you'd never collect from them anyway. Charging however would discourage those who are more conscientious about their obligations in some cases. I'd hate to think someone died because they hesitated to call for help due to the potential of a charge.

Oh and what I find most annoying is that people like this are made to be heroes, they sell their story, they get sponsors, they get paid for appearances. That's the real absurdity that people want to hear more of their story and pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom