It's official. I'm a trawler owner.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I may? 5200 does not have any UV protection and although it works wonderfully for two years, after that time it will leak. Don't ask how I know this without bringing a bucket and rag for clean-up.

Rainy season has to be experienced. An "expert" used it for my skylight in Seaweed. And I KNEW BETTER, but allowed myself to be dissuaded. It leaks. And patching with UV4000 hasn't helped, nor silicone, nor butyl. When rainy season ends I'm going to start over and give it another go.

The drip, when my starboard tank is full, is over the sink so it's not totally unpleasant. Much.

Thought I would check in here. Things are happening on Frisky!
Last week, I went down to San Diego and picked up a new dink. I towed it back via rental truck. We took it out during the weekend and had a fun time with it. 440 lbs.

Attachments

• 325-in stock.JPG
    325-in stock.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 325-tohatsu2.jpg
    325-tohatsu2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 90
Last weekend was HOT, at least by my standards. Saturday we messed around with the new dinghy and visited AStral BLue and family. Our boys had a great time catching schoolies of the back of his boat. I caught about 5 in as many minutes then had to give my son's rod back to him. Ed doesnt like to fish, but we chatted and he showed me around hsi marina. It's a very nice marina.
Sunday, I got to work on the generator even though it was sweltering hot. It has been in a state of dis-assembly for a while. I reinstalled teh heat exchanger, installed a new wet exhaust elbow, a new exhaust hoes, a new rubber HX boots, a new impeller, and fresh antifreeze. A month or two ago, we changed all the oil and filters on it. It took me most of the day, but after I was done, it fired right up and took all the load I could give it. I ran it for an hour or so without indecent. I'm relieved to check that off my list (knock on wood).
I noticed there are two exhaust discharges on the boat, one above the water line and one below. The exhaust water seems to drain below the water line, while the exhaust gas goes above the water line. I wonder if it would be prudent to close the lower seacock slightly so that there is a little bit of water exiting out the upper exhaust port just so I know its cooling properly. Any opinions? Will I harm the exhaust system by doing this?

This Friday, we are being hauled out. Getting a new transducer and rebuilding the hydraulic stern thruster. The stern thruster is taking on water and needs new seals at a minimum. The guy from Dickson stern thrusters told me I can swap it out for a rebuilt one for 800 bucks or so. I'll probably go that route so I have an essentially new thruster. We will also be having the yard install a new radar mast for the radar.

Last edited:
Nice dink.I'm jealous.Good luck with the rest of the repairs.That exhaust set up sounds a bit off to me.Never seen two outlets.Is there a Y valve in there for both thru hulls?

Nice dink.I'm jealous.Good luck with the rest of the repairs.That exhaust set up sounds a bit off to me.Never seen two outlets.Is there a Y valve in there for both thru hulls?

Probably has a Gen-Sep , we have one too setup up the same way.

Yes that the setup I have. Different brand, but the same design. Think it's OK to choke off the lower outlet a bit to let a little water flow out the upper exhaust?

I can't answer that.I've never dealt with those before.

Hmmm. Haven't seen that before....thanks for the info.

Yes that the setup I have. Different brand, but the same design. Think it's OK to choke off the lower outlet a bit to let a little water flow out the upper exhaust?

I would not recommend doing that, as they're were specifically designed to separate the exhaust & water. I use the small bubbles that are ejected below the waterline as verification to the genny pumping.

It's done to try to minimize the putt putt putt putt exhaust noise in a crowded anchorage to the neighbors annoyance.

I would not recommend doing that, as they're were specifically designed to separate the exhaust & water. I use the small bubbles that are ejected below the waterline as verification to the genny pumping.

I ran it again for a few hours on Friday. I see the bubbles you are talking about. I can live with that.

Went to the boat Thursday night. Saw a beautiful sunrise Friday morning and headed to Rio Vista for our haul-out. While transiting through 3 Mile Slough, I watched the depth-sounder go from 25 to 20 to 15 and I let off the throttle. It was a pretty steep bank it seemed we were headed for. The Navionics chart I was using said 15-25 ft. Well, the sounder went all the way 10, 5 1 and sure enough we very gently bumped the bottom. I'm sure it was just a silt deposit. I was in neutral and we were probably making 2 knots or so and the boat just went over it. 25 ft past it, we were in 20 ft of water again. I guess I can now check 'running aground' off my list. I have been through that slough probably 6 or 7 times this summer and never had a problem before. Looking back, I'm not sure how I could have avoided it except to have jammed the boat in reverse and throttled up, then try to have poked around a bit to find a route around it. What I have noticed is that the soundings charts for this area can be extremely inaccurate except for the shipping channels. I'm new to 'river cruising' and unsure if I should have done something different or if that is just the way it goes.

We made it to Rio Vista without incident and Frisky was hauled at Walton's. I was able to pull off the stern thruster and the short connecting hoses which I will deliver to Dickson to have rebuilt. I was able to drain the supply and return lines going to the engine room as well. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to drain the rest of the system thoroughly as there is no drain in it. Since there is water in the system, I'm not even sure just draining it will be enough. Before I refill the system, I'll have to create some way to be able to empty it easily before I refill it, so I can change the oil a few times to make sure I get all that water out. I'm curios if there is a simple water separator I can get that will handle the flow rate of the hydraulic pump. I could put it on the return line so it is only under suction. I'm not familiar with hydraulic thrusters enough to know what is involved in it.

The new transducer is pretty big. The fairing block is about 18" long. Apparently its a little bigger than anticipated. The guys at the yard think I am some sort of treasure hunter. I am sure they will do a good job with it.

Having the new dinghy came in handy. After the boat was lifted, we took it back the the marina to fetch the car. I'd guess the trip one way is about 10-15 miles or so. Having a fast dinghy sure adds another dimension to our boating experience. I'm sure glad we have it.

In the afternoon, I was going over the work I needed done with the yard manager and I fell through the engine hatch (again). I hurt myself pretty bad. I was sure at the time I broke a rib, but I didnt. I'm totaly bruised up and torqued my right knee pretty bad. I ended up going to the doctor today for x-rays. As a result I am sporting a very keen knee isolating brace. The doctor said if it doesn't heal within a couple of weeks, I'll have to get an MRI and possibly surgery after that. Let's hope for the best. I do need to create some sort of system to protect me from myself and this engine room hatch. I am thinking about hanging a bright tennis ball from the overhead directly above the hatch down to about waist level to remind me that it's open. All other ideas will be appreciated. The only other thing I can think of is to completely rope it off, but that would make transiting the pilothouse a difficult affair.

Attachments

• 2014-09-19 14.15.36.jpg
    2014-09-19 14.15.36.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 2014-09-19 11.19.54.jpg
    2014-09-19 11.19.54.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 2014-09-19 07.06.12.jpg
    2014-09-19 07.06.12.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 2014-09-19 09.06.30.jpg
    2014-09-19 09.06.30.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 88
I've always found that only fool-proof way to be real sure not to fall into engine compartment is to close the hatches. Hope your hatch system is as easily closed/opened as my boats have been and our Tolly currently is. Effort for closing/opening hatches pales compared to effects of a fall you are experiencing.

Best luck for quick healing!

PS: There are several "creative" ways to arrange hatches so that repeat close/open is fairly easy. Be inventive, think outside the box... your ribs, knees and other body parts will thank you!!

I agree.
Even when I think I'm coming back in s few minutes, I close the hatch.
I too learned the lesson the hard way and hopefully you won't have any injuries that don't heal quickly.

Let it be a warning.
Add hdd as hanging a tennis ball over it, the human brain has a pretty good system of not getting too cluttered.

It ignores routine stuff that it sees, hears, etc. All the time.

A number of aircraft have crashed because the many people ego do pre fight inspection, somehow missed that big fluorescent tag that says, Remove before Flight.

If it bothers you to open and close out, spend the effort to change the mechanism do it's easier to open or close.

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

I share your pain and though I have no idea how yet, have vowed to make changes to my hatches. Opening and closing them shouldn't be such a hassle, perhaps some kind of actuator and robust hinging is in order for Bliss.

... While transiting through 3 Mile Slough, I watched the depth-sounder go from 25 to 20 to 15 and I let off the throttle. It was a pretty steep bank it seemed we were headed for. The Navionics chart I was using said 15-25 ft. Well, the sounder went all the way 10, 5 1 and sure enough we very gently bumped the bottom.

Were you entering the mouth of Threemile Slough off the San Joaquin River just west of the point? Here's a screen grab of my chartplotter with tracks through that area. If this is the place, there's a 3 ft shoal at low tide that is a gotcha. Stay south of the point until established over the hole on the west side of the slough.

At least it's a soft bottom. Like they say about running aground in the delta..."There are those that have run aground and there are those who will run aground." Welcome to the not-so-exclusive club.

Attachments

• 3MileMouth.jpg
    3MileMouth.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 119
I hope your injuries are superficial. Maybe you need to fence around that hatch:).
Hatches can be a PIA to open and close, I`m sure that`s why we may leave them open knowing we are going back in shortly. I`ve often thought about an auto lifting strut, like on a car hood(we call bonnet). I`ve seen struts on simple f/g hatches, you`d need heavy duty strut(s) to lift a square meter or 2 of framed teak parquet with sound deadening material underneath.

Greetings,
Mr. b. My sympathies regarding your accident. I think I have a simple yet elegant solution to your repeated mishaps. It will serve a multipurpose function.
Amazon.com: Rubie's Costume Inflatable Sumo Costume with Battery Operated Fan, One Size: Adult Sized Costumes: Clothing
1) It may not allow you to fit through the doorway thus removing you from peril
2) IF you do happen to make it through the doorway and fall into the open hatch, it should cushion the fall (being inflatable).
3) Life preserver if you happen to fall off the boat trying to get through the door.
4) Incredible "dock cred" especially if worn with: http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costume-Japanese-Samurai-Wig/dp/B00FLTV9ZU/ref=cts_ap_4_fbt
5) The best for last....only $25.72!
What do ya think? Possibilities eh?

Greetings,
Mr. b. My sympathies regarding your accident. I think I have a simple yet elegant solution to your repeated mishaps. It will serve a multipurpose function.
Amazon.com: Rubie's Costume Inflatable Sumo Costume with Battery Operated Fan, One Size: Adult Sized Costumes: Clothing
2) IF you do happen to make it through the doorway and fall into the open hatch, it should cushion the fall (being inflatable).
3) Life preserver if you happen to fall off the boat trying to get through the door.
4) Incredible "dock cred" especially if worn with: http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costume-Japanese-Samurai-Wig/dp/B00FLTV9ZU/ref=cts_ap_4_fbt

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks RT!

Greetings,

If I use it as a pfd, do I need running lights?

New stern thruster

My stern thruster was leaking. Before my accident, I was able to pull off the existing thruster that was letting water into the hydraulic fluid.
I called Dickson Thruster this morning and he hand delivered a new unit to me at my office and took the old one as a core.. Not bad for service! I reinstalled the existing propeller, which he told me is a stainless steel mixing propeller from the food service industry. He told me it's preferred since it has the same thrust when rotating in either direction.

Later this week, I will drain the rest of the fluid out of the hydraulic system and fill it up again with fresh atf.

Attachments

• 2014-09-22 16.35.38.jpg
    2014-09-22 16.35.38.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 88
Were you entering the mouth of Threemile Slough off the San Joaquin River just west of the point? Here's a screen grab of my chartplotter with tracks through that area. If this is the place, there's a 3 ft shoal at low tide that is a gotcha. Stay south of the point until established over the hole on the west side of the slough.

At least it's a soft bottom. Like they say about running aground in the delta..."There are those that have run aground and there are those who will run aground." Welcome to the not-so-exclusive club.

I have been thinking about your picture for a while. I had to go to youtube to figure out how to take a screenshot in my android, but I figured it out.
Below is the screenshot of the navionics app I am using in the same area you show above. I did notice, after studying it for a while that there is one "3" in there , but no other markings .. Bad on navionics for such a poor chart, bad on me for not cross checking it, although the contour lines lead you to believe its all deep.
I wonder how the new garmin charts on the new garmin device will be compared to these navionics.

Attachments

• 2014-10-05 21.45.56.jpg
    2014-10-05 21.45.56.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 101
Update:
Boat is still in the yard, the new transducer should be installed by now. I have the new stern thruster installed. I have all new hoses for the hydraulic system in the engine room along with a freshly cleaned and painted reservoir tank to install. I was going to install them this weekend, but its scorching in the delta and passed on the job for now, especially as i am still hobbled by my knee. The job will be easier when the boat is in the water.
Tuesday I meet the electrician.
I'm glad I am having a good year at work.

I did install the new lowrance combo unit in the tender last week. It looks and works great although I was a little sloppy with the 5200 on the transom.
Yesterday, we took the tender from Santa Cruz to Capitola and back. We floated for a while among the dolphins. We all had a nice time. Wish I had taken some pictures.

Last edited:
I agree, that's very misleading. Here's a screenshot from my NOAA chart app on my tablet. It's different from the first - maybe less cluttered and less detailed - but the "3" stands out more.

EDIT: On second look, it appears that it's my tracks that clutter up the first map. The rest is the same. Makes sense since they are both raster maps from NOAA viewed in different apps.

Attachments

• 3MileMouth2.jpg
    3MileMouth2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom