Water in Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Looking for any firsthand info (current) about water replenishing in the Bahamas.

Availability primarily in the Exumas (not exclusively)?

Is there a charge at most (all) facilities? KJ

Looking for any firsthand info (current) about water replenishing in the Bahamas.

Availability primarily in the Exumas (not exclusively)?

Is there a charge at most (all) facilities? KJ

KJ, the usual charge is about 25 cents/gal metered. I have found most of it to be good. We filter ours as it enters the tanks. Most of it is cistern water collected from rain fall. It is a little scarce. Not much boat washing going on.

We have a water-maker but we cruised with friends last year who didn't. Water prices were $0.25 to $0.50/gallon if you pulled up to the dock in the Exumas. Water quality was good with lots of RO water. The Exuma Market in Lake Victoria, Georgtown has free RO water but is only accessible by dinghy. Exuma Docking Services, Georgetown, has RO city water at their docks. Staniel Cay Yacht Club has RO water at the fuel dock and marina for $0.40/gallon.

The morning nets are always a good source of information as is Active Capatin.

What is your preferred filtering system? KJ

We did use just an off the shelf filter system with charcoal filters. Now, thanks, to Parks, we have a super duper Boji water filter and softening system. It would usually cost around $40 to fill our tanks over there. It would last a week and a half or two weeks. There is RO water in the Abacos. We would fill from a friends house on Man-O-War. They have a 20,000 gal cast concrete cistern built in the foundation of their home.

Yep, .25 to .40 a gallon, we've never felt the need for a watermaker in our Abacos trip, but I can't really speak for the Exumas. Never had any issues with it, we just use a pitcher filter for our drinking water.... though I often get lazy and drink it straight from the tap.

No harder than Florida municipal water.

What Larry said.

As to filters, I like to use a pre-filter of say 20-40 mic and then a charcoal filter of a no smaller mic than the pre-filter. And don't use clear filter bodies. The light encourages algae growth in and on the filter housing and elements.
I also prefer the larger filter bodies. Big Blue I think some companies call them. They are short but squat looking.

Thanks. Didn't know that info was on A Cap. KJ

Kenny
I just returned from the exumas. In georgetown at the exuma yacht club water was 35 cents a gal. And it was ok. I did drink it

Hey Michael, how the heck are ya’?

Looks like I’ll be heading down your way in Nov/Dec. Heading down to the Keys and then over to the Bahamas.
I’d like to stop by and hear about your trip. I’ll give you a heads up when the time gets near.

Thanks for the info. KJ

Ken
It will be great to see you. I am still in hollywood just south of sheridan st bridge

Water prices may vary if you spend an O -nite , or simply pull up to fill up.

Pays to ask.

In all my time cruising I have had to haul water more than i have had it coming out of a hose, but then again I am in some out of the way places. I use a brita pitcher and have had no problems. Originally I bought a filtration system, but after looking at the space I decided to follow my K.I.S.S. rule and stay with the pitcher. The trawler I just bought has an integrated system with many spare filters. When the filters run out, I will remove it and go back to the brita.

Back
Top Bottom