Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice! That's awesome mate thanks! That thing is an animal. What size is it?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Nice! That's awesome mate thanks! That thing is an animal. What size is it?

2500w Sine Wave. But it's also a charger.

? nice. Do you run a xantrex charger system too?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

It's actually an inverter/charger, this was an early model before trace was taken over by xantrex. I've been told this was the best model trace/ heart came out with. Only failed us at begging when we got the boat but just reset it and it was fine. We also have a spare that came with the boat.

Ah sweet. Yeah mine is just an inverter. Will have solar panels as well as the over size alternator so not sure if I need a charger or not.

Well the weekend is over for another week and thus the building is at rest for another 5 days. I finished off the framing for the shower cubicle. I started the framing for the bed and battery enclosure. I pulled out 16x100ah batteries and cleaned them up for installation next weekend. I Did some final cutting in of paint on the engine room ceiling before rolling it next weekend.

That's all for now.

Cheers.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411301357.216261.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411301419.073975.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411301447.870610.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411301517.335527.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411301573.416789.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411301613.193823.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411301647.170685.jpg

idea fo cabin?

just a few ideas for your cabin!

Attachments

• 334760361[1].jpg
    334760361[1].jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 264
Update:

Fitted rib extensions and cut to final gunwale height. Braced and Epoxy glued sheets.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412416896.378663.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412416953.870658.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412416980.109184.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412417015.610294.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412417056.805955.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412417082.806819.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412417130.544825.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412417166.913510.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412417221.668535.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412417468.134040.jpg

Looking good! The rest of the empty's must be under the table....

Matt me mate

You're coming along well. Good to see you posting picts again. That's one great boat-project you are building. Years of enjoyment are ahead for you and Flic as well as other family and friends. Keep up the great work!

Cheers, Art

Matt me mate

You're coming along well. Good to see you posting picts again. That's one great boat-project you are building. Years of enjoyment are ahead for you and Flic as well as other family and friends. Keep up the great work!

Cheers, Art

Thanks mate ... It's always a pleasure to hear from you. Hope you and the family are well ?

Matt, good to see ya fitting panels again. Stay with the program and get-r-done already, the suspense is killing me. :thumb:

Matt, good to see ya fitting panels again. Stay with the program and get-r-done already, the suspense is killing me. :thumb:

Lol cheers mate. Suspense is killing me too :) tho after lifting and fitting those sheets my back is now killing me also lol

Today was struggle town. Everything took three times as long as it should have. Actually, come to think of it, was a pretty crap performance. I managed to screw off the sheets, removed the braces and framed out for the porthole window sills and dry fitted the ply liner to the inside rib frames. I did a bit of a clean up and loaded up the ute with the ply off cuts so I can start construction on the steering station/helm at home during the week.

Tomorrow I'll paint the bare timbers with bote-cote, fit the insulation batts and glue and screw the liner off and then start the rib extensions on the stbd side.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412499693.155940.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412499715.674980.jpg

I'll think of you as I am painting the inside of my flybridge tomorrow Matt. Then you can think of me, also doing boat stuff, sanding and painting out in the heat, and maybe you won't feel it's just you..? Sort of suffering together, only 2000kms apart, approximately. Does that help..? Probably not. But yes, I hear yuh when you say things always seem to take longer than they should. My commonest complaint while working on the boat is "why does everything have to be so hard..?"

Yeah just having a tough day. It would have been easier to buy a new boat but I've never taken the easy road on anything I do. I'm gonna make this boat my bitch and I'm gonna kick it in its face and break its back until it's done then sit back and enjoy the fruits.

Last edited:
Yeah just having a tough day. It would have been easier to buy a new boat but I've never taken the easy road on anything I do. I'm gonna make this boat my bitch and I'm gonna kick it in its face and break its back until it's done then sit back and enjoy the fruits.

Yo Bro... Not trying to tell ya how to treat your boat-float-gal... but… if I may suggest

I say from previous personal experience - you can whisper to her too, and, gentle petting usually leads to some of the best human led affairs with our mechanical creations. You are actually giving this old float-gal a brand new life. She luvs you for that! I actually do believe that there is semblance of a creator-person’s soul ingrained into non-animate objects we create/repair/restore… i.e. into which we humans place untold hours of our own blood, sweet, and tears as well as creative mental energies and so much $$$$ hard earned during our lives.

IMHO and In affect: Your AXE will respond to your intents whichever way you place energies toward her. Her life with you and yours with her will deeply resemble the effects you provide. MOF, at end of this project she is exactly what you provided/decided for her to become.

I understand your frustration while pushing through long hours of creation... and, from build-it projects in previous years as well as many years (decades) of entrepreneurial business endeavors I currently own and/or participate... I can provide you direct empathy.

Keep up the great work! There should eventually become a splendid, rewarding, fun-providing relationship between you two…. While you, family, and friends play for years on the waters your AXE will ply - For YOU!! :thumb:

Cheers! - Art :D

Lol yeah you're probably right mate. Maybe she's being difficult because she doesn't like the way I am working her. I might try your suggestions ?

Today lasted about an hour or so before my power was cut by the electrician that was doing work on the house where I get my power from. I managed to install the insulation, ply panel and the bed rail before I was forced to do something else. Ok cool I thought, I'll just paint the epoxy on the hull, didn't have any bloody rolling trays did i !!! .... I wasn't about to try and brush it on and the Hardware shop was an hr away. I wasn't driving for two hrs for a scabby plastic roller tray so I packed up and went and found some more timbers to finish off the rib extensions next weekend and then went home.

Well that's all till next weekend.

Cya

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412582106.458703.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412582133.492966.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412582159.344761.jpg

Well the weekend is over for another week and thus the building is at rest for another 5 days... started the framing for the bed and battery enclosure. I pulled out 16x100ah batteries and cleaned them up for installation next weekend.
Is it really 16 100ah batteries going in? You`ll need a good strong MPPT controller for them. I think Axe will be kept on a mooring, not much work for a charger in that case.
Hendo, I admire the progress, and the zeal and devotion you bring to the project. Great work!

Is it really 16 100ah batteries going in? You`ll need a good strong MPPT controller for them. I think Axe will be kept on a mooring, not much work for a charger in that case.
Hendo, I admire the progress, and the zeal and devotion you bring to the project. Great work!

Hi Bruce
12 x 100ah batteries mate. I've been reading and rereading that word doc about solar panels you emailed me ages ago. Yeah I'll get a MPPT Controller. Not sure of make/model. Any suggestions?

Yeah AXE will be swinging from a buoy so has to be somewhat self reliant. I will be installing 6 x 200W solar panels and I have the 2000W/4000W inverter. Still trying to piece it all together. Will have some big current flowing through the system.

I'm trawling all over the net trying to get info that my eyes are almost bleeding lol.

Cheers for your support Bruce!

Starting on the helm. Looks more like a church pew or musical organ atm but it'll come together. Not bad considering all I've been working off is a pic off the net ?

I've got to finish of the cupboard in the bottom, add 30mm to the side panels to make it 50mm thick and then I can epoxy and glass tape it up before fairing and sanding etc etc etc.

The reason for the cut out in the back is so it will hook over and sit on top of the toilet wall and ceiling.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412769009.137386.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412769037.376743.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412769069.639173.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412769128.095166.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412769153.166753.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412769234.509033.jpg

Last edited:
Should make for a good looking and strong helm Matt.

Yeah hope so mate. Flic was really keen on the double width seat so we can both sit up front so I wanted a nice wide helm.

The jury is still out on whether or not the wheel should be centred or to the right.

What's ur thoughts Craigo?

Back
Top Bottom