View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #52
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Appropriate engine for Pacific Northwest cruising?

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Marin,
I don't share your opinion at all. I can't think of any other common trawler as attractive as your GB.
Well, it's a good thing everyone's sense of aesthetics are different or we'd all be running around in the same boat.* I find the GB to be a very unbalanced design aesthetically.* The main cabin is way too tall, the aft cabin (on the aft cabin models) is way too low, the windows are ridiculously large,* the sheer line is way too shallow,*and so on. If we didn't have a*white sailing dinghy on top of our aft cabin the boat would be downright ugly.* Before we bought a GB I swore we'd never buy one I disliked the look of them so much.* Plus they're as common as Hondas around here--- you see yourself coming and going every five minutes.

Then we chartered one on the recommendation of a friend in the marine industry and found that, like a big ugly car, it did what we wanted to do quite well.* You can't see the outside of it when you're inside, so the lousy proportions aren't an annoyance underway.* Add to this the fact that GBs are very affordable (as opposed to the boats we really like, which aren't) and it was a case of not making sense to not buy one.* So we're very happy with it as it lets us do the things we want to do at a cost we're willing to spend, which balances out the fact that its aesthetics leave a lot to be desired (in our opinions).

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 30th of September 2010 11:17:50 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote