Thread: New Rocna
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #72
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Looks like that Rocna in the pics has a very thick shank. Is it one of the mild steel Rocna's?
Eric-- Judging by the photo, the shank in the picture looks the same in terms of thickness as our Rocna, which is an "original." There are several boats on our dock now that have "new" Rocnas. I haven't measured anything, but their shanks look just like ours. The metal the newer anchors are made of looks a bit brighter, but other than that the design seems identical.

I assume the shank width might get greater as the weight of the anchor goes up, but I don't know this for a fact. Ours is a Rocna 20 (44 pounds). The ones on our dock are Rocna 20s and 25s. The 25 has a longer shank, but I don't know if it's any thicker.

BTW, you can tell a "new" Rocna from an original by the raised lettering on the underside of the lip at the wide end of the fluke that spells out the name of the anchor. The "original" Rocna does not have this lettering, only the label affixed to either side of the shank.

I have no idea if there is any visual way to tell a Rocna made early on in China by Holdfast from the anchors made in China today by Canadian Metals.

So far as I know, while the manufacturing locations and (possibly) processes have changed, the actual design has remained the same from the outset.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote