• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Trade: 1975 Gulfstar 36 MarkII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billylll

Guru
Vessel Name
WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Make
36 Gulstar MarkII
I rarely see anyone looking to trade a boat. I bought a 1975 Gulfstar 36 Mark II in late spring. I paid $17k for the boat, after a few boat bucks later I had the fuel tank opened cleaned and all fuel removed, new 4D batteries and the generator battery were replaced, both engines are the Perkins 62hp 4-154's they had all the pumps impellers replaced, new fuel and oil filters, new fluids and they run with no smoke start on the 1st hit of the key. I had the port rudder repaired and both rudders bearings and seals were replaced, new Zincs installed, all new hose clamps were installed, 2 new CO detectors, a 12,000BTU stand alone heat-pump is installed. There are also 2 window AC units in the aft windows however the original glass to remove these is with the vessel. The boat also has a newer low hours Westerbeke 4.5kw generator that was serviced and is working it's fluids and filters were changed as well. Here's the ugly the interior needs work (there's no water damage the headliner is perfect) and it has all the original wiring which I was going to upgrade. In addition there is a new Garmin 740s plotter and a VHF200 radio that come with the vessel. The navigation lights were upgraded to LED. Health issues have me rethinking boating.
I can send anyone interested the survey I paid $17k for the boat the extra work I had done which cost thousands is my loss. I'd like to get what I bought the boat for or possibly trade it for a Bayliner 2859. From the same general area.
I'm really disappointed because I had high hopes for this vessel.
The boat is currently located on the Middle River, Maryland. It's on land because I had the bottom redone and the rudder repaired (it had minor blistering).
I have some new parts for it as well, a new LED anchor light and a new VFlow Jabsco 5.0gpm fresh water pump.
If interested I can send you the survey. Many of the items on the survey have been corrected and the boat is currently insured with BoatUS.
It can be seen almost anytime.
I can be contacted at b.lentz@certifiedrf.com
Bill

Yes e-mail me and I'll send them.
Bill

How were your hopes dashed?

How were your hopes dashed?
You and me both.......
There are 3 major reasons 1st I have a rapidly deteriorating back where my lumbar spine now has >80 degrees curvature at the same time I have nerve problems causing constant pain in both feet (Lyrica hasn't done anything to help this and I have been on it for over a year). I'm in need of a full spinal fusion, the economy, and this would probably have a different outcome if the boat wasn't 144 miles each way from where I live. By the time I drive to the boat my body's tank is already 3/4 empty due to the pain.
I should have never taken this project on but I'm in denial about my medical conditions.
Bill

Would it help if some folks moved the boat for you?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm no help as a west coast boy but would bet someone in your slice of America may be willing to run her closer for you.

A bit more about the Gulfstar I had her surveyed and a sea trial that lasted 2 hours. The only problems that needed immediate attention was missing or broken exhaust and thru hull hose clamps (to have doubles). The previous owners spent a small fortune on installing new exhaust and intake hoses and I guess the mechanic doing the work ran out of clamps so I had everything double clamped. The survey called for a new fuel tank fill & vent hose. They were replaced in June. The port rudder had minor blistering and the hull did in one small area. I had the hull below the waterline taken down, repaired and painted. The port rudder needed minor blistering and it was pulled and repaired. At the same time the yard and I agreed that both rudders needed new packing and bearings this was completed. I had the yard install new 4D deep cycle wet cell batteries and a 31 series wet cell battery was installed on the generator. I added 2 hardwired CO detectors and upgraded the on board required fire extinguishers. Before the sea trial I had Atlantic Tanks from Baltimore come out take the top plate of the tank off and scrub and polish the tank using the fuel that was in there about 150 gallons but the fuel didn't look good it sat for 4 years so I didn't want any fuel issues hence the reason the fuel was removed. All 3 engines were serviced by a Perkins mechanic who changed all the raw water impellers, hoses, adjusted the valves, all fuel filters were replaced, the oil filters were replaced and new oil and engine coolant were added essentially checking everything over. The port side engine electronics gauges are all off by about 10% when compared to the starboard engine (upper or lower controls and gauges). When mechanical gauges and an IR heat temp gun was used both engines were identical and healthy. I haven't had the time to find the common electrical problem with the port engine's 2 instrument clusters I'm betting it's a faulty ground. The Westerbeke generator was serviced like the boats engines and the generator needed a new oil pressure sender to start, it was replaced and it's working great now. It has less than 800 hours on it. I also previously mentioned that I had all new LED navigation lights installed with the exception of the anchor light which I have and it will go with the boat.
I bought and was going to transfer lots of cool stuff from my previous boat. Cool stuff I removed from my Mainship was the FLIR, an AIS Class B transponder, a pay by the day NMEA2000 Garmin weather receiver, a Wave WiFi EC-HP-AP and loads of new equipment which I will end up selling off separately depending on which of 3 outcomes happen. 1) If I end up keeping the boat it will probably be left in Maryland until next Spring then I'll start on it again. 2) someone else buys it and they make the improvements needed. 3) or I originally wanted or I get a 2859 and install my cool toys in it but I will be able to trailer the Bayliner 2859 so I could work on it behind my shop. I went back and forth between the 2 vastly different types of boats and in the end I felt I got a good deal on the Gulfstar, looking back now I wish I had purchased a 2859 that had a Yanmar diesel and a 3 axel trailer from PA.
But I didn't I don't mind handing out the survey to interested parties. However it's minor things like the salon lower helm carpet is rolled up and currently in the rear head (this was done while the boat was being worked on to protect it). The previous owners furniture is all over the boat again we were pulling wire or were going to.
The rear head is a self contained head with a 9 gallon holding tank it sits on, this was going to go if I kept the boat and I was going to install a Raritan Marine Elegance freshwater head, a PuraSan H-N-T and I have a new Todd 36 gallon holding tank. The front head's a PortaPottie that was going to be removed and I was going to replace it with a 110VAC washer/ dryer compact Splendid unit. I think I had too many hopes big dreams. The upper decks and the entire hull are solid only some very minor moisture was detected near the windlass. The boat also needs a new freshwater pump which I have and it will go with the boat.
I could continue but I kinda doubt I will be able to do this aggressive a project at this point in my life.
As I mentioned I have all the electronics, parts and fixtures to make my dream boat but I'm reminded of my limitations every time I see the Gulfstar.
Bill

To those whom I have sent the survey to you can talk to the surveyor directly if you have a genuine interest.
In fact I would recommend it.
Bill

Sorry to hear about your health issues, Billy. I have a similar commute to the boat, and always break it down into two legs to stretch and get coffee. I've enjoyed following your posts on the Gulfstar.

Look I won't give the boat away if it doesn't sell I'll need to motivate myself this coming Spring.
I really like the looks of the Gulfstar and the interior layout. It should have been my ideal dream boat.
Then again the idea of having a smaller boat specifically the 1990-1995 Bayliner 2859 on a trailer would be ideal because I could tow it home and work on it behind my shop/ office. It would still be large enough for my wife and I to weekend on or even a week or so of cruising.
Bill

Bill, we had a Bayliner 2859. She was a well laid out vessel and we had a lot of fun with her. Once- for an out drive repair- we had her trailered and brought to the repair shop. She actually had an Alaskan Bulkhead. We just got back from an Inside Passage cruise and I could certainly see the value of having one.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I see in your signature line that the 2859 sunk was this storm related or something mechanical or structural? The Alaskan bulkhead is a nice rare option.
Bill

Hey Bill
She sank in Katrina at a Marina in Bay St. Louis Mississippi. The lines were still tied to her?.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Hey Bill,

On a separate note, watch out for Lyrica's side effects. My mother was on it for a while and it screwed up her memory and caused other issues. Hope it is working OK for you...

Hey Bill,

On a separate note, watch out for Lyrica's side effects. My mother was on it for a while and it screwed up her memory and caused other issues. Hope it is working OK for you...
The side effects of Lyrica are horrible I'm getting off of it.I tried Gabapentin/ Neurrotin all the neuro drugs at high doses they aren't working. It really stinks when your feet are firing away 24/7. It even wakes me at night. No sleep and constant pain are not something I would wish on my worst enemy!
Thanks,
Bill

I'll accept reasonable offers for those looking at the Gulfstar.
Thanks,
Bill

I am interested.... and it would be going to a good home. Due to my health issues I can no longer run a sailboat so, the trawler is my option or stay home..

Can you forward some pictures ? jcraighook@gmail.com

I believe your boat is at the same marina i keep my Christ Craft.

Would you be interested in trading it for the Christ Craft? It's a 1978 catalina 280, single inboard crusader 5.7, replaced in 2008/2009. transmission replaced august 2014. 140 hours on driveline. Layout is very similar to the bayliner you are interested in.

mark

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom