View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #676
Rex

Quote from Marin:

Yes, I know the theory--- as it moves forward it's also supposed to dig in deeper and so hold harder. But I've driven a tractor pulling a plow, and so far as I'm concerned, that's the wrong approach to take with an anchor design no matter how you fiddle the bends in the metal. There are already enough variables in anchoring. Using an anchor that "wants" to move forward is not something I want to add to the mix.

Rex Wrote:
Marin if you are going to lump in the Excel as a Plough then I don’t see why you would prefer the Super Sarca?
Truth is neither plough, no I am not going through it all again, I would post but I think I would be doing the wrong thing, if you go to our videos and upload the environmental video, then if you still think the Excel is a plough then don’t try selling it to l the farmers, the trench fills in rather than plough out, this is very well demonstrated by the delta example. I cant but you could upload it for all to see and mke up own minds, just adds more FUEL to your ongoing discussions.
The below report is in the TF archives, Dinghydog may have an update, Mike replaced his Rocna with a Excel.

05-30-2013, 08:30 AM

DinghyDog
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 37
Initial field report on the galvanized Sarca Excel No. 6 (66lb).

Dates: 5/25 & 5/26
Bottom: Typically mud with varying top layers depending on location
Boat: PH Trawler - 40' overall length and 24,000 lb displacement
Rode: 5/16" G4 with dual snubbers

Day 1: Anchor boat for three sailboats - 1x42' & 2x34' (our old sailing friends did not disown us after all). Location (Rhode River High Island, MD) is known to have good holding. Winds were variable from 8-18 kts with minimal directional change. Anchor bit immediately and held a 1K RPM back down set (single 340 HP). No issues overnight. Weighing the anchor required patience, persistence and came up with mud mainly around the “de-liquification” cut-outs. A drop back into the water cleaned off the majority.

Day 2: Anchor boat for five sailboats - 1x42',1x39', 3x34'. Location (Mill Creek, MD) is known to have poor holding because of heavy leaf cover; had previous difficulties getting anchors to set in this anchorage. Anchor bit immediately and held a 1.1K RPM back down set. Winds variable from 5-12 kts. No issues overnight. Raft had swung 180 degrees on the morning tide, but the winds were calm.

Observations: Based on the difficulty weighing anchor, I can only suspect that it dove deeply into the mud. It also easily penetrated the leafy bottom of Mill Creek. By the end of the Holiday weekend, we were christened “anchor boat for life”. Not sure if this is necessarily a good thing…

While the above cannot be considered a definitive test for any anchor, I have growing confidence it will hold our single boat in most straight-line to moderate veering wind conditions and in substrates found on the Bay. I’m still looking for a substaintal 180 degree wind shift that typically comes during our summer squalls. I’ll continue to update notable experiences with this anchor. End Quote:

Any way I think they are all good anchors, the ones that survive have to be.

Regards Rex.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote