View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #670
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
If I wanted a hoop style, I would probably choose the Manson simply because although they have strengthened the shank it is still weaker than the Supreme's and both test about the same in holding capacity.
I agree with you there. Our Rocna is an original, made long before Holdfast showed up and moved the production to China. Canadian Metals moved the production from whatever fabrication plant Holdfast had been using to their own, wholly-owned fabrication plant in China, and they say the problems with the early Chinese shanks--- assuming there were any--- have been resolved.

But were we in the market for a new anchor today, while we would still choose a rollbar anchor because, as I've stated before, we think it is the best all-around, multi-bottom design going, we would probably order a Sarca from Australia because we are pretty sure it's made correctly and its performance is right up there with the Rocna's.

We don't like the Manson, partly because of its stupid slotted shank which in addition to the sliding shackle problem makes the shank too tall for a lot of pulpit anchor keepers (bails) including ours. We also believe that the Manson's overall design, while pretty good, is not quite up to par with Rocna's and Anchor Right's.

But we would be somewhat leery of buying a new Rocna today just because the alleged Chinese manufacturing problems in the Holdfast days makes us a bit unsure of the quality today. With the Sarca on the market, it enables a buyer to avoid the "Rocna uncertainty" altogether.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote