Furuno failure...not!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
On a mooring ball at Balboa Y.C. Newport Beach. Get up in the morning and we are fogged in with Signor Furuno not working. We found our way to the fuel dock by listening for the ferry horn. Took on some diesel and started looking for the breakwater when were passed by a Catalina Express boat. We followed him out to open sea where we got away from the fog. Turns out it wasn't the radar at fault, but a weak breaker.

Attachments

• Catalina Trip 055 (1024x768).jpg
    Catalina Trip 055 (1024x768).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Catalina Trip 056 (1024x768).jpg
    Catalina Trip 056 (1024x768).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Catalina Trip 059 (1024x768).jpg
    Catalina Trip 059 (1024x768).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 129
I have had only 2 Furuno radars and they both failed on the same way, the motor that spins the antenna seized.
On one of them, the motor would start to turn then blow the fuse.
You might want to look at that as the replacement motors are pricey

There was nothing wrong with the Furuno. I ran a jumper from the 12 volt bus to the load side of the radar and it worked every time. The problem is I have some circuit breakers that are weak and tripping out. Not surprising as the boat is 28 years old.

If the motor is on its way out, you might see higher current loads when operating the radar. Do you have a way to measure the load when the radar is on? That might give you an indication of whether it's the CB or the motor.

I am going along with the weak breaker as the problem. I had the same situation trying to get the A/P to stay on. The breaker kept tripping but finally, "caught" and stayed on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom