Heading through the Welland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going through the Welland for the first time on a delivery down to the Florida Keys. This will complete "The Loop" for me. Looks like good weather for the next few days and hopefully into Manhattan were we will stop for a couple of days. Should be a fun trip.

Going through the Welland for the first time on a delivery down to the Florida Keys. This will complete "The Loop" for me. Looks like good weather for the next few days and hopefully into Manhattan were we will stop for a couple of days. Should be a fun trip.

I'm sure Rodger will be watching you pass through...Have a good trip through.

Rodger took us through.

I'll post some photos now that I have good cell service.

One of the guys on the boat is running a few GoPros and making a video of the whole trip. I'll post a link as he puts it up.

Rodger took us through.

I'll post some photos now that I have good cell service.

I've yet to talk with anyone who went through without Rodger. I'm sure there are many, but I definitely intend to use him when our time comes.

I know you're in delivery mode and not tourist mode, but you're going a route we definitely look forward to cruising one day.

Yes Rodger is a great guy. And we'll worth hiring for your first trip through if not all trips. As he can save you time on your transit.

The Welland to NYC part of this trip is the only part of The Loop I haven't done. So it will be fun to complete it.

My earliest memories are of Welland in the early '50s, when I was between 1 and 5. They include...

Being bitten across the face by a Dalmation I had grabbed in a park by the canal.
Scary trees outside my bedroom window.
Ice fishing on the canal (catching mostly salamanders).
The smell of the Welland Woolworth where my mother worked.
Chickenpox.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be! Sorry about the drift, please carry on.

My earliest memories are of Welland in the early '50s, when I was between 1 and 5. They include...

Being bitten across the face by a Dalmation I had grabbed in a park by the canal.
Scary trees outside my bedroom window.
Ice fishing on the canal (catching mostly salamanders).
The smell of the Welland Woolworth where my mother worked.
Chickenpox.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be! Sorry about the drift, please carry on.

To me the strangest thing is the way they empty the Welland over the winter to work on it.

Here is some video the other crew member put together of the first day of the trip before I got on.

The weather coming down the canals was fantastic as was the scenery. Same for the Hudson and into Manhattan.

Sitting in Cape May now waiting out the wind. Beautiful day here other than the wind blowing out of the wrong direction to jump to Northfolk. :)

The weather coming down the canals was fantastic as was the scenery. Same for the Hudson and into Manhattan.

Sitting in Cape May now waiting out the wind. Beautiful day here other than the wind blowing out of the wrong direction to jump to Northfolk. :)

Yes, but what a nice day and place to be stranded a day. There are still some very nice days in the northeast and down the east coast in October. Some years, that is.

Yes is is a lovely day here. And hopefully we will hit a few more on the way down. :)

Looks like your green light on the weather, its opening up tonight giving you a window until Saturday am... plenty of time.

My rule of thumb on plenty of boating and delivery experience in NJ...leave before mid-October.

Till then the good days equal the bad....maybe outnumber them by a notch.

By the end of October the bad days start to outnumber the good.

By Thanksgiving and the good days are still around enuogh the trip can be made in comfort if you don't mind gloves and a hooded jacket.

By mid-December when I can leave...as a captain..you need a psych eval....

I got caught in hurricane sandy in NJ on my sailboat. I was less than a mile from where the shore got washed out and the bridge came down. I couldn't leave until November. After shoveling snow off the boat I set out in placid condition but then got laid up in in Ocean City for 4 days freezing and was pummeled all the way to Virginia! My goal this trip is to get out of conn by Nov 1 (weather permitting) and make fast passage!

Looks like your green light on the weather, its opening up tonight giving you a window until Saturday am... plenty of time.

Yes we moved yesterday. One day sooner than I wanted to. The bad part, at times we were in real 4'-6' on the nose. The good part, it proved my point.

And a thanks to Scott for his help with some local knowledge. Thanks again.

Was that about the cheesesteak, the diver, or that in Cape May the wind always blows or sucks????? :D

What are you traveling in ?

yes... it was previously Moose. I take it you know it?
I would update the pic but the only photos I have are the boat in a sling

What are you traveling in ?

A 2000 Silverton 453 with Cummins diesels. It's in very, very good condition with just over 500 hours on it. Roomy, but not a very good sea boat. And I learned today it doesn't like confused seas at all.

Looks like today will be the last day of this delievery. I came on board on September 26 and if all goes well we will finish up today.

Running from Sailfish Marina in Palm Beach to "Crash Corner" in Key Largo.

Almost perfect day for the run down. Winds offshore a bit and behind us. Less than a 1 foot chop with slight swell coming in from offshore. Clear blue sky.

Back
Top Bottom