Old 10-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #53
bligh
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I did this and it was an unmitigated horror. Damage will occur, rent will be late, and every little thing that you'd naturally take care of because you own it, will be your problem. Your Expensive-to-fix problem. A tenant won't tighten the screws holding a hinge to a cabinet. Doors will be slammed open and the gizmos that should have prevented damage will have been broken/removed.

Need I remind you of fleas? Vermin?? Your contract calls for no pets? Ha! You're not there and besides they have a medical necessity for a critter.

Don't say it cannot happen to you and yours. It can, and might.

The city fined me for the trash left in front of the house when the tenant left. Finally. And it cost me a lawyer to pry her out. It took nearly a year to get rid of her and of course no income for that time -- just expenses.

Please be smarter than I was. Take the money and run. Or cruise.

[And it's possible my perceptions were colored by the fact that I was doing the whole chemo bit (and a couple of diets via physician removal of parts) so while sick I had to deal with the nonsense.]

But I'd never rent to a tenant. If they cannot afford a down-payment, tough.

In my opinion that is.
I have a couple of rentals. I dont need any more headaches- I have two boys already. I pay someone to manage them and the tenants. It runs about 10% or less of the annual rent to do it. Problem tenants are handled legally, swiftly and decisively.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote