View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #70
LRC58Fan

City: SanFran
New Super Efficient Long Range Trawler / Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Perhaps we could examine your list more carefully.
"
7. Even the sailboats with the hard dodger that get you out of the elements when you are sailing - wall you off from the rest of the activity in the boat - so you're alone battling the elements. I would much prefer to be in a larger cabin with my family when cruising in bad weather."

There are large pilothouse sailboats and motorsailors that allow you to spend time in areas that are well lit, allow you to pilot, and enjoy the outdoors in much the same way as you would on a power boat.
YES - I know of many motorsailers that have somewhat large pilot houses - but I tend to agree with Steve Dashew on this point - that its nice to have the kitchen in the same level (the upper level) so that everyone is at the same level most of the time when the boat is traveling - to keep the community together and not make the pilot feel like he's / she's working alone so much of the time.
I really like the design of the Dashew FBP in that respect - where everyone is in the "great room" (just as we are usually in the house /home with the kids) - with a great view of the outdoors. It just feels right from a social engagement perspective. Most of the motorsailers have smallish pilot houses - for a couple of people to hang out in but not for everyone to be there at the same time, and generally not when preparing meals - which takes a lot of the time on boats.

Quote:

"4. A sailboat, by its very nature, is actually a "Hybrid" solution - with all the complexity of both sails and an engine. More complexity means more potential problems when long distance cruising."

You could also count this as an advantage. Not counting fuel expenses, the advantage of having a better motion at sea and a get-home system counts for a lot.
Yes - but you're hauling a huge amount of ballast around the world with you to achieve that - and you can have a "get home" sail on your long thin powerboat too - that can be quite effective in those very rare situations when you need it.

Quote:
"5. A big part of the time you're probably under power, even on a sailboat. But you're dragging around a huge ballast and large sails that make it a less efficient powerboat than something like the Dashew FPB or Artnautical 58."

Yes, but if you used the sails on beam reaches and off the wind, you would easily make up for this discrepancy in fuel consumption.
Perhaps - but it all depends on your cruising destinations and the wind/ tacking that actually takes place.

Quote:
"6. I'd like to take my parents on the boat - but with something that is frequently sailing at a large angle - it makes it very hard and dangerous for older people that have trouble walking and standing up."

It's called a heeling angle. But you wouldn't have to sail with your parents aboard, you still have an engine.
Yes - but you still have the many stairs of the sailboat, the issue with most people being either downstairs in the "hold"/cabin, or outside in the elements - which isn't ideal for the older parents.

Quote:
"8. Sailboats can't take a direct route to where you want to go - you have to follow the winds - which in my mind is suboptimal."

Check out Richard's thread aboard Dauntless, and you will see he couldn't go directly where he wanted to. He was forced to go in directions that were much like tacking a sailboat because the motion of the boat was too much to handle for him (and maybe for the boat as well.) .
Yes - I've followed Richard's thread about his trip in Dauntless - and I see that as simply an issue with the Trawler design - that makes the boat pitch a lot in significant seas. (rather than go through the waves as with a longer, thinner design).

As one person said above " the slender boat (even in concrete at 15lbs a sq fr) will be a far better sea boat in terms of motion , and ride and cost less to push thru the water.."

The Trawler design is really design-optimized around carrying a large amount of stuff (for example, "Fish"), not for seakeeping/comfort when passagemaking. Its also not optimized for longer distance efficiency. This is another reason I like the longer-thinner designs of these new boats like the Dashew FPB and Artnautica LRC 58.
LRC58Fan is offline   Reply With Quote