View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #617
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbangi View Post
No I'm not sure as Noelex has provided no explanation.

Mantus claim to have changed all shanks to the HT version by Dec 2013 (its on their website). Noelex, in early Sept 2014, had had his Mantus for 5 months. This suggest he received it in March. He is in Greece so it might have taken a month to get to him. The anchor was shipped in late Jan or Feb. Why would an anchor maker send an anchor with an 'old' and questionable shank for evaluation?

I think Noelex said the anchor bent after use in 20 knots of wind (though it might have bent on retrieval - but he made no mention of a difficult retrieval).

In the absence of any other explanation its the new shank.

The Mantus shank profile is about 60% of the width of a Rocna, Delta, Excel shank and will have 60% of the strength - assuming the same steel. Noting that the Excel shank uses steel stronger than either the Rocna or Delta. For its weight the Mantus has a larger fluke than any of the others - which will impose higher loads if lifted, broken out, too quickly (but shanks should be designed to accommodate this.

Many shanks bend - but not in 20 knots of wind.
Perhaps Noelex will clarify which kind of shank he had originally. His anchor follows the bigger is better approach in that it would be at least one size larger than the Mantus chart recommends, so one would expect a more robust performance.

Regarding shank bending, I know of one bent Ultra shank prior to the addition of internal reinforcement, but I have never heard of an Excel shank bending, nor a Rocna when their shank was made of Bisalloy. Too springy, I guess. The Fortress shank has bent, but I put that down to the fact that they will bury themselves so well you have to expect that to happen once in awhile.