Engine room camera to iPad display

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlinmike

Guru
Does anyone have such a setup, I'd image a WiFi transmitting camera, then need a receiver or would the iPad just pick up off the camera with an app?

I do check engine room every hour or so, but there was a couple times were if I saw the engine room live (or at least the ability to glance at it) would have saved us considerable cleanup and damage.

Thanks!

Does anyone have such a setup, I'd image a WiFi transmitting camera, then need a receiver or would the iPad just pick up off the camera with an app?

I do check engine room every hour or so, but there was a couple times were if I saw the engine room live (or at least the ability to glance at it) would have saved us considerable cleanup and damage.

Thanks!

I have several cameras on the boat, including the engine room. I monitor these from my ipad or laptop, or phone

You will need a couple of things to make this work.

First you will need a wireless network on your boat. This does not need to be connected to the internet, but it would be much better if it did.

Then you will need a wireless camera. This camera will connect to your wireless network. Your IPAD will connect to the wireless network as well. Then you use your browser to browse to the IP address of the camera.

There are lots of brands of wireless cameras. While they all work, I use the Dlink brand. Dlink has a great free service called mydlink.com. I use that service to connect to all my wireless cameras from my phone or ipad, or computer.

My Standard Horizon displays have inputs for video. The cp300 a single and the cp590 has 2, at this time I'am not using any of them but plan to eventually install a camera in the ER. I singlehand a lot so that would help with ER checks while underway.

My Raymaine plotter has 4 video inputs and I use all 4. Cameras are cheap, in the $40 range but must be hard-wired.

Great for monitoring vacuum gauges.

Thanks for the input everyone, looking more the wireless method which ksanders outlined, but appreciate all feedback.

Anyone else have a wireless network not connected to the net on their boats, what brand?

Belkin advertises a camera that will go straight to the device...

saw it on Tigerdirect.com

I'm not sure why you would want to go through all the trouble of installing a wired network on the boat and not have the ability to connect to the internet? Almost any switch will work instead of a router if all you want to do is distributed video. I'd look at switches that provide POE (Power over Ethernet). Then take the output of the switch and have it feed a small access point. There are too many Ethernet switches and access points that are not marine specific which I don't believe is needed since it will reside inside the vessel? The above assumes you are using hardwired cameras that need to be broadcast over wireless. I also suggest if you do this keep all wireless devices in the 802.11A band including the access pint. This way if you want to add ship to shore Wireless Internet you're not generating unwanted noise in the long distance band or 802.11b,g or N on 2.4GHz.

As far as using Wireless cameras really nothing is needed other than setting up the camera and creating a shortcut for each device in this case each device that needs to receive the wireless camera video. This assumes you only need to connect the cameras with devices (laptops, tablets and or Smartphones) that already a WiFi chipset as part of their specifications (most all do now days).
Bill

Last edited:
I'll be doing a newsletter segment on exactly that subject in the next 2 months. There are a couple of considerations you should make:

- Make sure the camera handles infra red. That way, you get perfect black and white video when all lights are turned off in the engine room.

- Make sure the cameras have tilt, pan, and zoom control over-the-air. It makes it possible to have just a couple of cameras with view capability in many places. Look for app software that supports pre-sets for pan/tilt. Then you tap a button and it moves perfectly to your preset view like perhaps the raw water pump.

- Make sure the cameras are servers or use UDP so they can provide video to multiple viewers at the same time. Right now you might want the display on your iPad. But the day will come when you're in your stateroom and would like to see video around the boat or even in the engine room. Or you might have 2 iPads showing more cameras at the same time, etc.

- There's a huge advantage to being wireless (obviously except for power). And for power, make sure it has a wide voltage swing support (11-15v) or 5v. 5v is USB world and becomes cheap to distribute anyplace.

- Done right, the video could be available over the Internet too - usually at a marina where there is WiFi. That allows you to watch the boat when you're off it which isn't a crazy idea. It requires complex network configuring though because of port forwarding issues and might be outside the reach of many users today. Someone is bound to make that easier to do eventually.

I have 2 cameras today with all those capabilities and I plan to add 2-4 more this winter. Each camera cost something like $59 on Amazon. I'll be writing much more detail about all of this - this posting gave me an outline!

Here is a photo of my engine room taken just now from my boat cameras.

But... there is much more you can do, if you just have connectivity to your boat.

Have you ever wondered how your boat is doing, sitting all alone and exposed in the harbor while you are away?

Ever wonder if your shore power is working? Or if your battery charger is functioning? What about bilge water... Ever wonder if your bilge pumps are functioning properly?

Ever want to use your laptop on board, or your non cellular ipad?

Guys, the first step in this wonderful world of information is getting your boat connected to the world. It is easier and probably cheaper than you think.

If you have a cellullar phone, you probably have a "family plan" of shared data usage. All you have too do is go to your cell companies store and buy a USB modem and add it to your plan. Plug this into a cellular enabled router, and you have a network for your boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 220
There is an article in the latest MTOA magazine that describes how to do this in pretty good detail. You might be able to access it online.

Cool stuff. I am going to try it all on wifi versus cell to keep monthly charges down. Until we really head out from the Columbia and turn south taking the long slow route to the US Open Tennis Matches, then will do some cell and satellite stuff.

I'm using a D-link DCS-5010l camera along with a Pepwave. surf-on-The Go router to monitor my boat when away. The problem I have is the camera's resolution (640x480) is not good enough to pick up the panel meter gauges or a digital thermometer I
I want to use to monitor the cabin temperature. Also, when accessing it remotely (from home) it eats my data allotment in a hurry.

@Jeffrey for all. Did you ever publish that newsletter? I got a little D-link wireless web vid cam for xmas that works really nicely. Does day or night mode and has audio. Neat iPhone app too. Tested at home and now it is time to mount in engine room. I have yet to do the boat router setup, thus my question.

It's funny you'd ask today - scary really...

Just this morning I measured the wiring needed to build in the 4 video cameras in a permanent way. Right now I'm using AC, extension cords, and it's not really right. I'm putting in a circuit breaker/switch tied to the house bank with 4 12v cigarette lighter adapters in the 4 places around the engine rooms where I want the cameras. Then I'm using a USB insert to do the regulation to 5v and USB provision since all my cameras connect via USB now.

I'll be writing the article once I have everything installed - it's all taking longer than I ever thought it would. I think the 12v-to-USB is a cute trick that many could use for their engine rooms for a variety of things. The important thing is getting 12v adapters with covers so they're kept safe while available throughout the engine room.

What cameras are you using now Jeffrey?

Foscam Fl1891W

They're typically about $50 - the price goes up and down on Amazon based on some world event or something.

They work exceptionally well in total darkness and have full tilt/swivel control. There are a lot of apps that can control these cams too. Many have presets for position which is a very nice feature - tap to see the Racors; tap again to see the raw water pump.

This is a great thread. I've been wanting to build a system for a while now

Well, here's one of my cameras screen shots.

This was LIVE just prior to posting this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Here's a photo from my cockpit.

Again, LIVE.

This camera thig is not difficult.

It can be done with off the shelf, inexpensive, consumer programmable equipment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 139
Have you looked at the Blue Seas Systems
Dual USB Charger Socket

It's less expensive to go with 12v and a USB insert - those things are dirt cheap. I like the options that having 12v gives for using other devices in the engine room too although that will likely never happen.

I'll upload a couple of real engine room pictures taken while underway. The cool thing is that this is in the middle of the night with every light in the engine room off. You lose color with the lights off but the image is obviously great for the need. The engine room here is 100% pitch black. Nothing is visible by eye here.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 132
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 132
I'll upload a couple of real engine room pictures taken while underway. The cool thing is that this is in the middle of the night with every light in the engine room off. You lose color with the lights off but the image is obviously great for the need. The engine room here is 100% pitch black. Nothing is visible by eye here.

Very nice!

Can you access your cameras when you are not on the boat?

Can you access your cameras when you are not on the boat?
Yes, but that's a very tricky thing that requires a fair amount of TCP/IP network understanding about port forwarding and router setup. It's made even more difficult if you have a typical high gain WiFi modem outside for picking up weak signals because you have to do two port forwards keeping track of which port is being used where. For 99% of use, I would not consider this to be any type of acceptable remote monitoring camera because the setup for it would be a killer and very few people could do it.

Yes, but that's a very tricky thing that requires a fair amount of TCP/IP network understanding about port forwarding and router setup. It's made even more difficult if you have a typical high gain WiFi modem outside for picking up weak signals because you have to do two port forwards keeping track of which port is being used where. For 99% of use, I would not consider this to be any type of acceptable remote monitoring camera because the setup for it would be a killer and very few people could do it.

Oh

I can access my cameras from outside my boat. I am over 800 miles from my boat and haven't been on it since October.

$79 each on amazon.com for the cameras. Here's a live shot looking out at the cockpit, and another live shot of the inside of my salon. :)

Everybody thinks this is hard, like its some kind of TCPIP magic. Its simple, and cheap to set up a network on your boat and cameras, and an alarm system. This is all consumer grade stuff. Pretty much plug and play. Again, it is designed for the average consumer to set up and use.

Night vision too :blush:

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 121
  • salon.jpg
    salon.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Oh

I can access my cameras from outside my boat. I am over 800 miles from my boat and haven't been on it since October.

$79 each on amazon.com for the cameras. Here's a live shot looking out at the cockpit, and another live shot of the inside of my salon. :)

Everybody thinks this is hard, like its some kind of TCPIP magic. Its simple, and cheap to set up a network on your boat and cameras, and an alarm system. This is all consumer grade stuff. Pretty much plug and play. Again, it is designed for the average consumer to set up and use.

Night vision too :blush:

great set up going to be a top priority project for me

Foscam Fl1891W

They're typically about $50 - the price goes up and down on Amazon based on some world event or something.

They work exceptionally well in total darkness and have full tilt/swivel control. There are a lot of apps that can control these cams too. Many have presets for position which is a very nice feature - tap to see the Racors; tap again to see the raw water pump.

I just bought 2 of these thru the Foscam website as a kit with a router (because I don't have one already on the boat) and it was a little cheaper than buying separately via Amazon. My plan is to set this all up at home, then install it on the boat in the spring.

Everybody thinks this is hard, like its some kind of TCPIP magic.

It is hard. And the setup is very difficult. You can purchase a webcam made to be an online camera. But in doing that, you're giving up other capabilities typically.

You didn't mention what exactly you purchased - just that you could get it at Amazon. Could you give the actual device name/model?

I think it's one of those things where if you're lucky with the initial configuration everything might work, but in my experience it is very difficult. Port forwarding, trying to hold a static IP number, subnet mask settings, dns settings, trying to make the IP number accessible or visible from a remote site - it can be incredibly frustrating. And then one power outage and you lose access or some of the settings, or your cam jumps to your neighbor's WiFi signal and you lose access because the ports don't match. In my opinion until cam designers cut through that tech maze, remote access wireless web cams are still not ready for regular people.

Back
Top Bottom