Boat Help Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drzasa

Considering purchasing:

1964 48' Grenfell Pilothouse Motoryacht with a single Deutz 325hp in it
or
47' Chris Craft Flush Deck with twin Detroit 8V53

and I can't find anything about these was wondering if anyone knew anything about the boats or engines and could help me out.

Hi Drzasa,
I've used Duetz diesels and worked on them and they're very robust and hard wearing, some are water cooled and some air cooled.
If you have the air cooled 'V' engine the only thing different is to make sure that the cooling fins in the 'V' are kept clean to aid cooling.

I've worked on both types of diesels, I would consider the overall condition of both boats to make that choice rather than deciding based on the power. Good Luck

Two completely different boats. The only common factor is they are both large boats available for very low prices. There is a reason for this.....no one wants them....That means that in a couple of years when you want to sell, you won't be able to get out without a major loss.

The Grenfell is a large, older wooden boat, with all that implies. If you have never owned a wooden boat, stay away. The CC has twin very thirsty (2-stroke) V-8 diesels, at a minimum $50 per hour for fuel, plus lots of oil. Both boats have somewhat rare engines, if you have no experience with old and rare diesels, stay away.....

Also from the CC pictures you need to be a midget to get into the engine room.....

I like the look of the older boats or the boats with a lot of wood on the interior etc., really like the older real yacht feel and looks and so does my wife. If you think these are not good choices do you have some suggestions? Looking for a roomy live aboard, that we can fish off of and is a economical cruiser that doesn't break the bank.

We have looked at many boats and seems everyone has a vastly differet opinion on the right boat based on the criteria above.

Thanks

Daniel, it`s not hard to find good boats which combine traditional wood interiors and fibreglass hull and house. The GB 42 is a good example and starting point, so is the one Moonfish cited.

When I was selling Ag. equipment we used to run across tractors with air cooled Deutz engines, they sometimes had problems with dust and crop trash clogging the cooling fins etc. I have never heard of an air cooled inboard diesel engine of reasonable size in a boat. The operating conditions are much cleaner there I wonder if there are some out there and how they have done. They would need a good supply of fresh air.

You may also want to look at the Hatteras LRC's, they have a 42,48,58 &65, built between 1976-1982

Very we'll built, build like a tank and wired like a space shop and looks traditional and hold their value.
Capt Don

You may also want to look at the Hatteras LRC's, they have a 42,48,58 &65, built between 1976-1982

Very we'll built, build like a tank and wired like a space shop and looks traditional and hold their value.
Capt Don

How is a space shop wired?

There was a Hat LRC in my marina. They look very top heavy and the owner only took it out twice. It went up for sale and became a fire sale to get rid of it. To me, not that great at holding value considering the blister problem and the 20K to fix that when he purchased it.

You'll not find it a practical fishing boat either.

I've always liked the look and layout of that Grenfell. It seems like it has been off and on the market a couple times in recent years.
Would you be able to moor it under cover? That would be the deal breaker for me as the rain would not treat it kindly. At one point there was a youtube video of it running, love the sound of the Deutz.

There was a Hat LRC in my marina. They look very top heavy and the owner only took it out twice. It went up for sale and became a fire sale to get rid of it. To me, not that great at holding value considering the blister problem and the 20K to fix that when he purchased it.

You'll not find it a practical fishing boat either.

There have been VERY few Hatteras 48 LRC's go up for sale on the west coast.

The Hatteras 48LRC's were passagemakers, plying the oceans, long before brands like Nordhavn even existed.

TF member SCARY owns one. When he bought his boat I was looking but not serious just yet. If it had come up a year later I would have seriously considered it. He got a great, go anywhere boat.

There was one that came up several years ago that Steve put an offer in on if memory serves correctly, but it was a boat in need of serious money to be spent on it.

as far as fishing practicality, I can say that any boat of that size, mine included is not the greatest fishing boat. Moving from a 27 knot cabin cruiser to a larger boat might be good comfort wise, but it is not so good fishing wise.

Last edited:

More than likely would not be undercover much as we would be living in and cruising it. If boats are not undercover what does it cause and can something be done to avoid it.

the biggest detriment to wood boats, other than lack of maintenance, is fresh water. I don't fear wooden boats as much as some do, but would not own one if it was to be stored un-covered. Fresh water intrusion at joints and fittings promotes rot. Not to say fiberglass is foolproof by any means, but has a somewhat of a fighting chance if stored out in the weather.

There have been VERY few Hatteras 48 LRC's go up for sale on the west coast.

The Hatteras 48LRC's were passagemakers, plying the oceans, long before brands like Nordhavn even existed.

TF member SCARY owns one. When he bought his boat I was looking but not serious just yet. If it had come up a year later I would have seriously considered it. He got a great, go anywhere boat.

There was one that came up several years ago that Steve put an offer in on if memory serves correctly, but it was a boat in need of serious money to be spent on it.

as far as fishing practicality, I can say that any boat of that size, mine included is not the greatest fishing boat. Moving from a 27 knot cabin cruiser to a larger boat might be good comfort wise, but it is not so good fishing wise.

The owner had passed and had two greedy heirs. I don't think the listing went past the local area and a family friend bought it. He's going to use it as a burial at sea boat.

Apparently haven't been on one in bad seas or seen one out if the water, at 60.000pounds plus and nearly 5' draft, it's rock solid.

I'm thinking his was 60' ish. Whatever size they made in that range. It had tons of room inside and made a great liveaboard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom