Glass tricks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
I have a sealed overhead hatch that is installed with rubber , similar to a car windshield.

I need to purchase new sealing rubber.

I do not know the thickness of the glass , and am hoping someone has a system to measure the glass with out taking it out.

Trick time???

Greetings,
Mr. FF. Although NOT exact you can get a pretty good idea of glass thickness by placing a set of vernier calipers end on (jaw end farthest from glass) against one surface, extending the depth probe and "eyeballing" the internal reflection of the opposite surface.
th

Last edited:
If it is a hatch that opens, take the above mentioned calipers and add 2 small round objects such as marbles (one between the glass top and the caliper, one between the bottom and the caliper) and measure the total thickness. Then measure the round objects and subtract them.

Ted

I used to think that calipers were fussy, expensive engineers' devices, but then I bought a decent set (digital) for like $40. My work is much more precise now and going back to dealing in 1/16ths or 1/32nds is a pain in the neck.

Step 1: Find a big rock.
Step2: Oh never mind, you know the rest.

Uh oh - you may be stuck with Hopcar's solution. Seriously though, I assume it's tempered glass. Any manufacturer's mark or inscription in a corner you could Google?

A Laser Distance Measurer laid flat on the window with a reflector on the other side will give an accuracy of 1/25". (Bosch GLR825). This is on their digital measuring tape. I am sure there are more accurate ones out there. Maybe a glass company could advise?

Back
Top Bottom