Lewmar Windlass Rope Guard and Control Arm Upgrade Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have a Lewmar Pro Series 1000 windlass that I installed in 2010. Last week I dropped my rode onto the dock to check condition and re-mark the chain with tie wraps at 30 ft increments. When I was done, I retrieved the rode with the windlass and the lightly loaded line portion jumped the rope guard came off the gypsy. I've had this happen a couple of times before with lightly loaded line during the retrieve. I started to look into this issue and quickly learned that Lewmar has an upgrade kit available to remedy this problem. It incorporates a wider guard and a beefier torsion spring to alleviate this problem.

Pro-Series /Fish Rope Guard and Control Arm Upgrade Kit

I contacted Lewmar today and they readily agreed to send me a free upgrade kit with proof of purchase within 5 years. I emailed the receipt to Lewmar and received an email confirming that the upgrade kit will be mailed tomorrow.

That's great service and just thought I'd pass it along if others had a similar issue.

Last edited:
Al. Have the same (new last year) windlass. Is this upgrade only for those who use rope rode? We have all chain and haven't experienced any jumping.

I was told the only issues they found were with rope rode. She said that the windlass was designed for a specific type of line and that the advent of new lines were causing some issues. Do you have a picture of the new windlass? The new one have the wider guard.

product-8329-0-0-tn.jpg

Mine has the narrow rope guard. This new kit will provide a wider one as shown in the linked pdf.

Attachments

• LewmarKit.jpg
    LewmarKit.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 256
No pic. Will check it on boat tomorrow. But seems to be a non issue for me.

Thanks for posting that. I had to replace my five year old Lewmar this past May and I thought the replacement looked a little different.

Thanks for posting that. I had to replace my five year old Lewmar this past May and I thought the replacement looked a little different.

Hope you got a warranty replacement. It's got a 5 year warranty.

Hope you got a warranty replacement. It's got a 5 year warranty.

No I did not. I'm guessing five years but it's probably a little older. These things leak and water got in and rusted the gears. It could probably be rebuilt but I was 500 miles from home and needed a quick drop in replacement.

Thanks Al. That's good info. That's the windlass I'll get when mine finally dies. I'll know to check the rope guard.

No such luck for me. Mine is just over 3 year old and they offered to sell me the kit.

Back
Top Bottom