Has it come to this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
I am a reasonable person.

I do try to keep my own preconceptions in check when faced by mind boggling incomprehensible dribble, however.....sometimes it all gets too much.

Today, I walked into a large National Marine Chandler to stock up for my annual, weekend of boat antifouling. I came across a new International hard anti foul paint called ultra something or other. Never having seen it before I grabbed a can and wandered up to the counter to ask the usual questions, which amounted to, was it any better than my usual hard anti foul paint that I have used since JC was a boy.

"Couldn't say "was the reply. What do you mean I said, you've not used it? No he said I can't tell you what it is used for.What do you mean you can't tell me what it is used for, I said, puzzled. He then said that he was not allowed to tell me what the paint could be used for, mentioning they could be sued if the product was not used as intended.

I just looked at him and said, let's read what it says on the can. Sure enough there it was, the paint was specifically designed for antifouling props and running gear.He just looked at me and said I can't confirm that, it's an OH&S(Occupational Health & Safety) issue!

I sometimes feel that my life has wandered into one of those surreal Monty Python skits.

(Mods please feel free to move this to OTDE, as on rereading, it doesn't have much to do with anti fouling paint)

In today's litigious society, retailers end up being wrong just for stating what the can label says. "You told me......" And really, by the time it gets to court, the manufacturer is long out of business. So that just leaves the National Marine Chandler to make the victim hole. The best policy is "we just sell the stuff".

Good luck, and let us know how it works.

In today's litigious society, retailers end up being wrong just for stating what the can label says. "You told me......" And really, by the time it gets to court, the manufacturer is long out of business. So that just leaves the National Marine Chandler to make the victim hole. The best policy is "we just sell the stuff".

Good luck, and let us know how it works.

No what it really means is find a local Chandler who allows their staff to use their brains and provide proper customer service. Even if it does cost a couple more cents.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

If the staff cannot advise me then why go to a brick and mortar store when I can order online. Thus the downward spiral of in-store sales continues.

If the staff cannot advise me then why go to a brick and mortar store when I can order online. Thus the downward spiral of in-store sales continues.

That's my point. We go to the Chandler expecting service. After all that is all they have to sell. Otherwise why go, we can just open our notebook.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

The next time I am in the local West Marine, I will ask a similar question. I'd be interested if I get the same response. They seem to have an opinion on everything.

You could go to a "brick & mortar store" to save on shipping cost.

Back
Top Bottom