Old 09-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #17
High Wire
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainiac View Post
Thanks for the prompt replies. There are so few Monk 36 out there to compare but most seem to have generators. My primary need for self-generated power is to run AC. Even here in New England it is nice to have AC to decrease the dampness. We usually spend a fair amount of time on the hook when cruising and I have gotten use to having a genny. That being said, the boat has a 2000 W inverter and a 100 Amp charger with two 8D house batteries, amps unknown at this point. I like the idea of less mechanical and maintenance worries but have little experience in power management without a generator.
We have a Westerbeke 8 BTD on our Monk 36. Its big enough to run 2 AC units and everything else. We have not found the need (yet) to run the AC on the hook in winter FL so it is very lightly loaded. In fact if it were not for the potential need for AC, a large engine driven alternator and a 2 kw inverter would be plenty for the refrigerator which is the next biggest power consumer. The gen sits in the space along the forward ER bulkhead.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote