New Rocna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noelex

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
48 foot sailing Yacht

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 173
Here we go again, again, again, again.....

Round and round we go, where we stop nobody knows.

I'd have to see that in person. From here in CA it looks banged up.

Last edited:
Remember the 60's era Plymouth dashes? Some of the things on it looked like afterthoughts. They just stuck it on there. Like that extra banged up scoop on the Rocna.

It probably does the job and fits under the close fit bow rollers, just looks goofy.

How do you carry it from the truck now that they took the handle off?

It's more like a Spade than anything else IMO.

Has a shank that looks much like the failed Oceane made by Spade. The ballast under the fluke tip is almost a duplicate of the Spade.

Could a Spade engineer possibly have abandoned ship and gone over to the Rocna dock?

Don`t take that Eric. Order one now.
Actually, it looks like a healhustler "design".

Last edited:
Always thought hoops were gadgets and a waste of metal, or is this an accommodation to a more boat-friendly shape, compromising on the hoop-anchor's supposed effectivness?

Last edited:
"Originally Posted by manyboats
It's more like a Spade than anything else IMO.

Exactly my thoughts. "

Exactly my thought as well.
Eric the article says there is no ballast in the tip.

"The new anchor design features a unique combination of shank and fluke geometry, which in conjunction with a roll-palm™ at the rear of the fluke, self-rights the anchor on the seabed without the use of either a roll-bar or a large mass of inefficient tip ballast. This development enables a larger fluke surface area than other designs, which rely on dedicated tip weight, directly equating to more holding power and security on a weight-for-weight basis."

So much for those comments from Rocna owners saying without the roll bar they'd just skip along the bottom on their backs or is there something I am missing?

So much for those comments from Rocna owners saying without the roll bar they'd just skip along the bottom on their backs or is there something I am missing?

It's a totally different design.

Looks like a polished tractor seat ground to a point and welded to a shaft. I bet if you look real close you can see FarmAll engraved in the anchor.

Parks,
Yes I just read that. What looked like a V shaped lead chamber like the Spade is in fact a V shaped empty cavity. This creates a lot of metal structure surface area that increases weight. So it could be ballast in disguise. My own favorite anchor the XYZ has disguised ballast well aft. In all fairness this design does look much more original than I had first thought. Has possibilities and a chance to better the Rocna as it has no roll bar.

A part that I don't like is the bottom of the fwd end of the fluke. I don't know how wide it is but it seems at a strange angle that may not work in harmony w the rest of the anchor. Looks like .. well not very streamlined. But then the Rocna didn't need to penetrate very deeply to generate lots of resistance. But when the force is less horizontal and a bit vertical (as in a short scope pull) more penetration would seem to be an advantage.

Last edited:
It's a totally different design.

Reminds me of a bicycle seat. Maybe they are on to something. (Edit -- posted this before seeing FlyWright's post. Don't great minds think alike?)

Last edited:
Reminds me of a bicycle seat. Maybe they are on to something. (Edit -- posted this after seeing FlyWright's post. Don't great minds think alike?)

Or even a JD seat!ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412049673.137535.jpg

I'd guess they have tested it and we have to assume, unless they are comedians, that it works.

It will be interesting to see how they manage to marry the contention that the roll bar was necessary, if not critical, and still sell the new design - in too many respects the 2 designs look 'contradictory'. To sell the new model, only on the basis that it will fit your bow roller - looks to deny themselves some market opportunity. We have lots of anchors that now work, Spade, Ultra, Rocna, Supreme, Excel, SARCA, Fortress - what is the technical edge of the new model, why would anyone want one over the others?

In view of the Fortress Chesapeake tests - will it work in soft mud?

Its an anchor so expect lots of spin - but maybe they will focus at nibbling at Lewmar's position (dream on?)

But I cannot think either Ultra or Spade will be sending Xmas cards to either Canada Metal or The Smiths.

The more I look the more it looks like an Ultra:

img_271995_0_68ee57a74454120509a5725ff45e8c0a.jpg

Oh and don't anchor in rock. This boat was lucky to get their anchor back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom