Batteries for Volvo TAMD63P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wallaby Phil

Vessel Name
Miko Too
Vessel Make
Navigator 53
Hi All,
Can anybody give me any info on what power battery I would need for cranking (cranking only) for a Volvo Penta TAMD63-P 370HP Turbo diesel engine. I am after the CCA rating required, can't find it anywhere on any Volvo sights.

Many thanks,
Phil

My experience which is supported by the gurus on boatdiesel is that a good Goup 31 battery will start anything up to 6 liters in displacement. The Volvo TAMD 63P is 5.5 liters. The Group 31 typically has a spec of about 1,000 CCA.

But cable length, size and connections have a lot to do with it as well. If the distance from the battery to the engine is more than about 10 feet, use 4/0 cable, otherwise 2/0 should work and make sure all connections are tight.

David

Until you have to lift it yourself

You can't go wrong buying the largest, highest capacity battery that will fit the space available.

An 8D weighs 160 lbs. I wouldn't put an 8D in any boat. If you think a Group 31 isn't big enough (and it is) put in two in parallel or maybe three, or .....

David

As D.Marchand said don't skimp on wire size and look at more than one smaller battery .

If you cold weather boat and have to start after a two day cold soak then be carefull.
If one group 31 will start you in mild weather then use a second battery, at least, for safety. Batteries can lose a lot of capacity when cold and the engine is usually much balkier about cranking, a double strike against a reliable start.

If you notice the least bit of hesitation with starting then pay attention, especially as the weather gets colder.

If you change your old direct drive starter to the newer geared starter you cut your current requirement in half.

I have a couple of TAMD63L's in my boat (same engine as the TAMD63P, the L has a lower HP rating).

Installed a set of Group 31's 4 years ago. Had no problem starting with these, even at subzero temperatures we encounter here in Scandinavia.
When they died last year (runaway charger) I put my ex house batteries (8D) into service as starter batteries.

My 8.3liter engine starts fine on a single flooded grp 31 down to about 40F, using a direct drive Delco starter. There is a second grp 31 available by switch if needed, but I like starting on one to verify batt condition.

Grp 31 is my favorite batt type for setting up banks. Easy to handle, available everywhere, relatively low cost, parallel as you need to set up bank capacity.

Hi All,
Can anybody give me any info on what power battery I would need for cranking (cranking only) for a Volvo Penta TAMD63-P 370HP Turbo diesel engine. I am after the CCA rating required, can't find it anywhere on any Volvo sights.

I'm kinda surprised Volvo doesn't have it published in their manuals. Minimum cranking amps for ours (Cummins) is included on the spec sheets...

(And FWIW, our 8.3s need minimum 1250 CCAs and 1560 MCAs.)

Anyway, you could also check to see if your starter motor has a label with similar info, too.

-Chris

Volvo TAMD63P

Boat Diesel lists the specifications for this engine , perhaps a TF member could pull it down from BD for you?

Straight out of the Owners manual for TAMD63L-A / TAMD63P-A:

For 12V system: 2 x 12 V connected in parallel, max 110 Ah (total max 220 Ah)
For 24V system: 2 x 12 V connected in series, max 143 Ah

TAMD63 Electrical System.png

Odd that they specify a MAX Ah instead of MIN. Something lost in translation?

Probably planning on the std small alternator , with a reasonable recharge time?

Maybe it has something to do with the really small generator: 60 Amps?

I have 4 different editions of the Owners Manual, they all say Max Ah

Straight out of the Owners manual for TAMD63L-A / TAMD63P-A:

For 12V system: 2 x 12 V connected in parallel, max 110 Ah (total max 220 Ah)
For 24V system: 2 x 12 V connected in series, max 143 Ah

Are all those numbers in the ref for output when that engine is used as a generator?

I don't see how that has to do with minimum cranking amps required to start the engine?

-Chris

Last edited:
I can't imagine what Volvo means with that spec. An amphour specification is totally meaningless for a starting battery. CCA (cold cranking amps) which is an automotive specification or MCA (marine cranking amps) which is a marine specification at a higher temperature is what you want.

I vaguely remember that CCA and MCA are the amps that a battery can deliver for something like 30 seconds at x degrees without the voltage dropping lower than 11 volts I think.

David

Many thanks, but it doesn't mention the CCA reqd to start, the Amp Hours is a completely different spec., but I appreciate it, Phil

I have gone with a N200 with a CCA of 1400 - should start the Queen Mary. Thanks everybody, Phil

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom