Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Donsan,
Were you looking at the boat or the deck hand?

Al,
This is a good example of why fwd slanting windows look silly or even stupid as in this example. Many or most fwd slanting windows look good and are nice for the owners or helmsman but like lots of things "somes good mores better" Just dosn't work. The hull is quite nice though. But then the owner of that boat may think my vertical (almost) windows look stupid.

Last edited:
I will take the 5th on that...

My understanding is she was part of the crew and the owner was not aboard. The hailing port is Bay Harbor MI so not sure why she is headed south. Seems late to be a looper but the air draft is certainly less than 19'. It would be interesting to know the draft.

The steel Coot has no cored decks, but one needs to keep on top of rust. Annual touch-up is a must.

img_270813_0_b186cff087302091016b04d7344efbcc.jpg

Want to have a continuing conversation on "Slanting Window"?
Enjoy, just on the market

A

Al: I think you may have found a new "wannabe window" champion with that one. Here it is, pictured with a Universal Litton, now the runner-up. Still, Eric points out that the hull looks pretty good. If we could only get Eric to move into the "forward leaning" 21st Century, it may be a great boat for him. The interior doesn't look bad either.

Attachments

• Wannabe trawler copy.jpg
    Wannabe trawler copy.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,111
  • wannabe window champ.jpg
    wannabe window champ.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 149
Gee, Larry... I sure am glad you don't make Don's boat get ps'ed into forward leaning windows; nudge, nudge. Or mine for that matter, nudge, nudge, nudge! LOL

I don't want to be the first to label Eric with a sexist title however, I had to magnify that photo to the max. Would never had Eric not tickle an old man's fancy for a peek. The "What" boat is a dandy as well, but the "tiger in blue jeans" upshots the "What".
Thank you Eric, and wife is doing well? Just asking.
Al

Interesting boats from opposite ends of the speed spectrum.

Attachments

• DSCN4851.jpg
    DSCN4851.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN4852.jpg
    DSCN4852.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 134
Just started home today after cutting my hand and look what was going under the Rainbow Bridge. The Katherine Jane. What a princess.:smitten:

Attachments

• DSCF1639 copy.jpg
    DSCF1639 copy.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 172
Fantastic boat. One of Mr. Garden's best.

I like the "wet stack" exhaust on Katherine Jane.

Sorry about the hand Eric. I'd bet we all agree when a boat that looks right is right. Your example here fits that concept. And that she is underway is a plus!! Here we sit typing. AMJ

A couple of local boats that are good distance cruisers.
One is a South African design build the other Queensland.
Both glass.

Attachments

• IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Stormboy 1.jpg
    Stormboy 1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Stormboy 2.jpg
    Stormboy 2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Nice boats Ben.

The 1st one looks a bit like a Willard 40 PH.

Check out Kumbaya for sale on yachtworld .I'm not sure how to post from YW . There are several pics . It's a 58' home built canal boat . It came thru our marina last year . It's interesting to say the least .

Ben: That 2nd and 3rd photo show a paravane design with no visible triangulation in the middle of the mast rig, and no center mast, I wondered if this might work, given the stresses. I sketched a simular rig for my own boat, but I figured the material would have to be extra heavy to stand the gussets and/or wire reinforcements. Do you know the boat and the material he used?

Just started home today after cutting my hand and look what was going under the Rainbow Bridge. The Katherine Jane. What a princess.:smitten:
Eric , that one is sweeeeet . If I ever get out your way I don't think I would ever come back .

Gee, Larry... I sure am glad you don't make Don's boat get ps'ed into forward leaning windows; nudge, nudge. Or mine for that matter, nudge, nudge, nudge! LOL

Art: I'm in Miami, away from my computer, but when I get back, I'll check the archives foe a wannabe Tolly. I already mutilated Don's boat on another thread.

Check out Kumbaya for sale on yachtworld .I'm not sure how to post from YW . There are several pics . It's a 58' home built canal boat . It came thru our marina last year . It's interesting to say the least .

Pack Mule,

Care to speculate what this cost to build? $1 million?

Would be interested in how she performs on the Delta.
That 2' Draft would really come in handy, but would likely roll a bit with the tides and wind.

As for the Interesting Boats category, I submit a gorgeous Thompson44 I was privileged to tour. Lily Maria's owners are super -- Jean gave me a full tour, including the engine room. And it's a keeper for certain.

LM-Profile.jpg

I wrote an article about her, with lots more photos. Janice142 article Life onboard Lily Maria (Thompson44 M/V)

Honest to goodness though, it's the engine room that had me envious. Colin has made it so simple, straightforward, and well, take a look for yourself. I'm impressed.

And Jean and Colin are both genuinely nice folks.

Great write-up on the 44 Thompson, Janice. It's good to see that someone took care of one of these examples. The only others I've seen were pretty rough.

This is a replica of one of the Columbus ships, the "Pinta". It had to take huge cojones to set sail across the ocean in such a small ship with nothing more than faith that there was land on the other side. The ship in the background is a replica of the "Nina" which was even smaller.

Attachments

• 20140816_111955.jpg
    20140816_111955.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 20140816_112237.jpg
    20140816_112237.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 108
This is a replica of the Pinta's dingy, featuring a 15th century Mercury OB.

Attachments

• 20140816_112507.jpg
    20140816_112507.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 109
They sure get around, a couple or three years ago they were visiting Houma, Louisiana, about 2 miles from where I keep my boat. They were at the Downtown City Marina docks just off the Intracoastal Waterway for a few days. I brought my grandaughter and a classmate of her's to tour them. They were amazingly small. I did see some Raymarine nav gear onboard.
Tom, Loafs and Fishes is loking great!

Attachments

• DSC04312.jpg
    DSC04312.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Art: I'm in Miami, away from my computer, but when I get back, I'll check the archives foe a wannabe Tolly. I already mutilated Don's boat on another thread.

OH NO Uncle Bill! What have I started now!?! :rofl:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom