Rebuilt Lehman 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeM

Vessel Name
Tuscan Sun
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
We are looking at a boat that has had a total rebuild of her Ford Lehman 120 by Marine Mechanical in Oriental, NC. Does anyone have any knowledge of or feedback on the quality of their work?

Greetings,
Mr. MM. Can't comment on the quality of the rebuild by I would question WHY a rebuild was necessary. Unless it had over 10K-15K hours, a failure may suggest lack of maintenance by the PO which would reflect on his/her care or lack thereof for the rest of the vessel. Proceed VERY carefully.

Greetings,
Mr. MM. Can't comment on the quality of the rebuild by I would question WHY a rebuild was necessary. Unless it had over 10K-15K hours, a failure may suggest lack of maintenance by the PO which would reflect on his/her care or lack thereof for the rest of the vessel. Proceed VERY carefully.

I believe it had just over 4000 hours. My understanding is that it was part of a fairly extensive overhaul of the entire vessel. But thank you for the comment, because I had not thought of it in that way.

Greetings,
Mr. MM. "...fairly extensive overhaul...". So, the PO had extra money to waste on rebuilding an engine that, with care, will run for 10K to 15K hours? Hmmm......Sounds like a "Only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays" story to me. As I said, proceed VERY carefully please.

We are looking at a boat that has had a total rebuild of her Ford Lehman 120 by Marine Mechanical in Oriental, NC. Does anyone have any knowledge of or feedback on the quality of their work?

Hurricane boat? And what constitutes a "total rebuild" to one is a new water pump to another it may a factory reman job - any documents on work done and why?

There are many reasons a fl120 could need a rebuild at 4000 hours. I know of several that had rebuilds.
Is the boat a 36 Albin?

Over the years, I and my insurance company, have had the pleasure of rebuilding two Lehman 120's.

As has been said there are various reasons why these engines can fail prematurely.So what constitutes a total rebuild?

Although not strictly an engine part does this include the injectors ,water pump and what about the heater exchange etc.

Once you embark on a high cost venture like a rebuild it doesn't make sense to cut corners unless of course you are doing it to sell and move on, in which case as RT Firefly said be careful.

Anyway do tell, what does this total rebuild entail.

Re the OP perhaps a pile of receipts would tell you a lot.

Rebuilding a Lehman is a little like rebuilding a 1950 Chevrolet or Buick engine.

I live in Oriental and Greg Bohmert has a pretty good reputation in town. But that is mostly irrelevant. It all depends on what he did to rebuild it. As someone else said: just replace the water pump or tear it down with new pistons, liners, valves, etc.

Contact him at:

Marine Mechanical & Electrical Repair Company
309 Midyette Street, Oriental, NC 28571
252-249-2925 (O) 252-675-1410 (C)
www.clancysmarina.com
mr.gears@embarqmail.com

David

Unlikely both engines failed unless sunk. Most likely owner heard his hours were too high from "experts"

I live in Oriental and Greg Bohmert has a pretty good reputation in town. But that is mostly irrelevant. It all depends on what he did to rebuild it. As someone else said: just replace the water pump or tear it down with new pistons, liners, valves, etc.

Contact him at:

Marine Mechanical & Electrical Repair Company
309 Midyette Street, Oriental, NC 28571
252-249-2925 (O) 252-675-1410 (C)
www.clancysmarina.com
mr.gears@embarqmail.com

David

Thanks David.

I haven't seen the boat yet nor met the owner in person. I expect to get more detail/documentation when I do. At this point, I was just trying to get a feel for the reputation of the mechanic.

Thanks to all for the info.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom