Champlain Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron T

Vessel Name
Grand Yankee
Vessel Make
1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Looking at information that I could find it appears that 17' is the maximum air draft for a vessel to transit the canal. I come in at 18'2" with mast down. I would have to take my radar arch off to clear the 17' max clearance. For you who have been lucky enough to have cruised the canal, am I correct with the 17' max clearance. Thank You.

Check with the lock operators, they can often lower the pool a few more inches on request. I know a guy who did so and got through with around 17'8". I would definitely make a phone call rather than get all the way there and find out it can't be done.

While it is correct that the lock operators in the Champlain Canal can and will sometimes adjust the pool levels upon request, the water level in the first bridge going north at Waterford is not included and it is charted at a 17 ft. clearance. If you can remove enough to get under this bridge, you should be OK going north. The lock operators need some time to lower pools, so plan on some delays.

You are correct with 17' based on normal pool level. Just make sure that is the level as at maximum pool levels it's as low as 12'1". Between Waterford and Addison the normal is 17' and at maximum pool is 14'2". So time of year, any flooding or high waters, is important. Here is a link to all the bridges:

Bridge Heights - New York State Canals

As mentioned above, the Lock Masters are a good source of current information. Also, there are notices to mariners:

https://wwwapps.canals.ny.gov/news/notices/

Last edited:
Isn't Waterford on the Erie canal ? Ron T said Champlain canal.

I said between Waterford and Addison. Actually Waterford has five locks. 4 are on the Erie, one on the Champlain. Waterford is at the junction of the two canals.

Going north on the Hudson, when you reach Waterford there is a sign that directs you turn west into the entrance to the Erie, or continue north to the Champlain. The Waterford bridge I referred to is just north of this junction and well before you encounter the first lock on the Champlain.

A year ago in July there was flooding and damage to the dams which closed the Erie Canal for over two weeks. Many of the boaters that could get under 17 ft, decided to go north instead of waiting. One boater, anxious to move on, stripped the top of everything he could, decided he was just under 17 ft, and headed under the bridge. Unfortunately, he still scraped and did quite a bit of damage. So be careful.

A boater comes to a fork in the river....

Actually one navigating this area faces multiple decisions. Going toward the Great Lakes the first is Erie or Champlain. Then, if one takes the Erie, the second is to stay on the Erie west or exit at Oswego. The Erie west of Oswego has a limit of 15'6" at normal levels.

Greetings,
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra. Mr. BB. The stretch of canal that links the Erie canal and Oswego NY is properly called the Oswego canal. It is about 24 miles long and has 7 locks from Three River Junction (on Erie canal) to Oswego (on Lake Ontario).

Greetings,
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra. Mr. BB. The stretch of canal that links the Erie canal and Oswego NY is properly called the Oswego canal. It is about 24 miles long and has 7 locks from Three River Junction (on Erie canal) to Oswego (on Lake Ontario).

Yes, I should have typed "The Oswego" meaning the river, not "Oswego". Obviously one doesn't exit as I said at town of Oswego.

And I did think of Yogi's comment and another fits here too. "If you don’t know where you’re going, you might end up some place else."

Greetings,
Mr. D. In this case proper=correct. "This stretch of...is correctly called..." Less judgmental to Mr. BB's post #8 I thought.

Greetings,
Mr. D. In this case proper=correct. "This stretch of...is correctly called..." Less judgmental to Mr. BB's post #8 I thought.

My post was screwed up...a word here and there make a difference so fine to be judgmental. To paraphrase, I really didn't say what I said.

Back
Top Bottom