View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
N4061
Guru

Be Sure Before You Jump In

[QUOTE=Drzasa;269432]My wife, two young children and I are looking into becoming a liveaboard here in the pacific northwest. Looking to purchase a 42’ Californian LRC for this, we will be getting it surveyed here pretty soon in the Portland, OR area and was wondering if anyone could help me out with the following questions.

Congratulations on your plan to move aboard with your family. After spending ten years (on and off) living aboard (part time) I can advise that for some it is a very special life style that you change your wellbeing and for others it can be a big mistake. There are so many Pro's & Con's associated with this great life style it takes time for everyone to figure out if it is right for them. Add in a spouse and things get a little more complicated. Add in a few kids and you are undertaking a major risk. So what to do?

I'm not expert but would advise that you charter a boat of similar size for a week and take a short voyage. Watch how everyone gets along. Find a few locations close by to visit so you can experience time on and off the boat similar to how it would be living aboard. If the family gets pass this weeklong trip and feels something special, like enjoying the closeness and time together then possibly your ready for this be life changing adventure.

You may also want to have the family vote on this adventure and insure everyone has an equal vote, don't force anyone to make this change. Think about offering to the family that everyone gets another vote after six months to insure everyone is still in agreement.

If you are fortunate (like my wife and I have been) you and your family will realize the choice you made is best decision you ever made and you all discover the magic of living on the water and become a closer family. If things don't turn out as planned you can at least look back and feel gratified that you tried something and will not go through life wondering. We did this a few years back when we decided to move into a high-rise condo only to discover it wasn't for us. Why it may have cost us a few dollars we still look back at the decision and count our blessings we did it when did when we still had our primary home instead of selling the house and making this move later in life. It could have turned out to be a major financial mistake. Doing things when you are young in life provides plenty of time to learn from your mistake and makes you wiser. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Keep us posted on your progress.

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote