Dry(ish) water lift mufflers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tdot

Vessel Name
To Be Changed
Vessel Make
Custom Steel 40'
Hi Guys, spent more time on the new to me boat, looked at the exhaust system, and it seems as if they have used a homemade lift muffler system with dry manifolds and no riser....eek.

The mufflers are welded to straight pipes that go out back with the pipe at water level.... The raw water is shot in on top, need new hoses.

Has anyone seen a rig like this? I'm not overly comfortable with the lack of rise for a waterlock, but I have never worked with a rig like this, so I am ignorant....

Forgive the pics, cramped ER....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 118
Another pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 119
Three words, Get A Professional.

Tony's Tips - Information about Marine Diesel Engines and Boats from Tony Athens

Go to this site and read the articles about exhaust systems. It's hard to tell from the photos you have posted exactly what has been done but it does not look good.

Need to see more.

I see the dry wrapped pipe going to the red can but cannot see where it goes after and how water is injected. If that red can is the 'water lift' then be carefull.

Looks more like simply an attempt at a muffler than a water lock.
And yes, get some help.

No different than the lagging on a dry muffler system...as long as it is done right and in good shape...water only needs to be injected where you DON'T plan on lagging it.

My Lehman has lagging pads that cover the first6 inches or so of the injection elbow before where the water enters....so if that pipe went another 8 feet with lagging on it...what's the big deal?

Sure...recreational boats are usually made with all wet systems because the average skipper doesn't know a thing about lagging...but it isn't automatically unsafe.

Is it functional?

How long has it been functional?

Has it failed?

Does it show any indications of potential failure?

What are the consequences of failure?

That said, it sure is ugly and even my low level of OCD would force me to "do something" about it.

If the drop is sufficient that when anchored in a slip with a 50K nbreeze pushing waves in the exhaust pipe and no water gets in the engine , you are home free.

In many boats the engine exhaust is low , so they need help.

A 90deg at the transom , exhaust thru the hull , would help lower water forces pushing up the exhaust.

A would a flap that slows the water entrance.

I will be going to investigate and take better pictures tomorrow as well as to figure out the waterline level....

The reason it came to my attention is that the PO had noticed the winterizing plug on the Starbord side "muffler" had rotted out, so he shoved a dingy rubber drain plug in..... Except it shot out yesterday, fortunately while i was in the slip.....

Oliver, some pro design and name brand parts are in my near future.

C letric, I had visited Tony's site, that info brought me to the conclusion that this setup, while functional for 20 years, may be running on pure luck.

Psneeld, I was planning on redoing the insulation with two layers of two inch exhaust wrap, but i may scrap the whole system.

Ff, this rig has always been in fairly calm waters, but i have plans, so i will pull the aft berth to see if there are elbows or waterlocks or so on back there....

Will keep you all posted....

That's a good idea, some companies to look at for water lifts are centek, and vernalift. I would scrap the whole system and start fresh.

KISS is always best.

Water lock mufflers come with their own set of hassles.

A no start condition may flood the engine , they must be winterized in freezing conditions , and a small diameter lift may increase back pressure , costing fuel and exhaust valves.

Back
Top Bottom