Shafts for 36 dc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
new to this forum,,, mainship owners group on yahoo was not much help, i need to find new shafts for a 36 DC 86 model with twin 350s and velvet drives. I dont think there was another engine option, I either need specs or preferably someone who sells these shafts. thanks in advance
Steve

Can't help with the question, but since you say you are new to the forum I can say welcome! And I feel sure someone on here can answer the question -- this particular forum has a lot of collective knowledge available! (Of course, you sometimes have to separate the wheat from the chaff. :)

John

Welcome Steve,

If someone with specific knowledge does not come around perhaps someone local to your part of the river(assuming of course the boat is in Memphis) can recommend a well regarded local machine shop capable of helping you out.

I think you'll find that no one stocks shafts. Take the old ones to a machine shop familiar with shafts and have them copied. Not usually very expensive on that type of boat.

I think you'll find that no one stocks shafts. Take the old ones to a machine shop familiar with shafts and have them copied. Not usually very expensive on that type of boat.

This is excellent advice. Call your local yard and ask who they use. And 'not expensive" is a relative term. I just replaced mine(1.75in at about 14ft) at close to $2000 per. So buying one is not terribly expensive...doubling it stings a bit. And they are Aquamet shafts so they are reputable.

Just to look around.....google "prop shafts" and you will get an education....that is what I just did. Even some prices too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

PS...there were other engine options for your boat...namely diesel....just FYI

Yes, Mainship offered Perkins diesels as an option on that particular model. I just wish there were more of them around.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

getting them straigntened is a option but 2 weeks on dry dock runs the price up.... if i remember correctly when mainship was in business they had them in stock for around $400 each wish i could find who got their inventory

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. You've come to the right place to get shafted.
emb1.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist and as Mr. HopCar will surely say...."Watch out for me".

What's wrong with the old shafts?

Back
Top Bottom