portable Generator Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am surprised

I converted my Honda EU2000.... It runs my 100 amp charger just fine with enough left over for a few lights and the microwave.

I am surprised that the Honda 2000 will run a 100 amp charger AND a microwave simultaneously. Most 100 amp chargers draw 15-17 amps AC (efficiency + power factor at work here) which is right at the maximum output of the Honda and beyond its continuous spec of 1,600 watts.

Perhaps when the batteries begin to get full, the charger output drops and the AC input drops to below 10 amps you could do it, but not for long.

Depending on the charger 75 amps output is about all that you can power continuously with the Honda.

David

Since the propane leaves with out creating varnish ,propane is the fuel of choice for folks that dont really need a noisemaker.

A year of no use will usually start right up, no hassle ,20 year old fuel? no problem.

+1

I've had fuel in the my small OB for a few years, it started up no problem.

It's oxidisation of the fuel which makes it go sticky; keep an airtight cap on the tank and it should last years.

Ps: make sure you run the carburettor float chamber dry before you store the engine.

Small microwave and yes the charger was not running at full output since the bank was nearly full.

Tom

I am surprised that the Honda 2000 will run a 100 amp charger AND a microwave simultaneously. Most 100 amp chargers draw 15-17 amps AC (efficiency + power factor at work here) which is right at the maximum output of the Honda and beyond its continuous spec of 1,600 watts.

Perhaps when the batteries begin to get full, the charger output drops and the AC input drops to below 10 amps you could do it, but not for long.

Depending on the charger 75 amps output is about all that you can power continuously with the Honda.

David

I agree. I run a 55A Iota charger with my Honda and during the initial stage of charging at 50+A, I am limited to additional loads. Once the charge reduces about 40A or less, then I can operate microwave or coffee maker without an overload problem. My 55A charger at max output requires 13.4A and the Honda is limited to 13.3A.

Back
Top Bottom