caltexflanc
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
When I purchased our Garmin 531S (I think) GPS/sonar I had the option of a transom mount, shoot-thru the hull or thru hull (for extra cost) transducer. Like many, not wanting to have the boat hauled for 'ducer installation I opted for the shoot thru unit. It is similar to this:

I caulked the base to the hull and filled it with mineral oil. Works fine for what I want which is simply an estimate of how much water is generally under the keel. I probably lost some sensitivity but I didn't really care. Using the charts and the "trend" of what the bottom is doing is good enough for me.
As a matter of fact I have done this with 2 units. One for pilot house and one for FB. I currently have 2 redundant thru hull units and one old style paddle wheel speed unit which will be removed, probably next haul out.
Ah yes, the Airmar P79 (Airmar makes virtually all transducers regardless of brand name). Not gonna find fish; I had one hooked to my Furuno courtesy of the PO. You have to move up to something like a M260 to do that, best of all a CHIRP. And the OP wants a fish finder and side scan.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote