Old 09-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
Tony B
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
Bass Pro Shops is pretty close to you in Decatur. They have a pretty good range of marine electronics, and generally one or two people around who know something about it.
Thanks for the info. I will be going to Decatur in a few weeks. I'll check them out.

Garmin Tech Support told me that they are getting away from inside hull mounted installations. Now they offer a transducer for about $170 which can be hull mounted. However, after a while on the phone the tech Support person conceded that if PROPERLY installed, the unit I have will work inside the hull. I think Garmin and the other companies are all doing this because they have had a lot of returns because of poor installation and so, don't want to recommend this procedure. If you look at the catalogs, most Depth Sounders/Fish Finders state "for transom and trolling motor mount'.

Most people/boaters are not familiar with epoxy and so it would be really easy to screw up.