Transients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
These came in yesterday on their way to Minneapolis, Minnesota at about 50 miles per day. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408225152.668606.jpg

Ahhhhh....more trawler trash!! There goes the neighborhood! :D

Never saw a GH till last fall, that was Fred and Linda's N37 Young America when they stayed here on their way south. They are back with friends on their own N37 Carolyn Ann, both beautiful boats. They both left at mid morning on their way upriver. I really like the engine room and the access to do daily checks and normal maintenance, the galley is also pretty damn sweet with the full size double door fridge.

Ron, Where are you at now ? They were at Paris Landing about a month ago .I went aboard the n37 but not the n47. They are sweet boats .

I'am on the upper Mississippi mm283 these were both N37s, the Carolyn Ann is the one with a flybridge. I'll most likely see them this fall on their way back south.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410880826.839265.jpg
40' Pacemaker with twin 440 ci Chrysler power, left Afton,MN. on their way south.

Wow! Ain't America great? Talk about a rugged individual.

Ron,What "River"? Some of us PNW and Alaska boaters lack mental images so some detail will help. Do these innovating craft (VW on a Bun) become exposed to the more open waters of the (What) river later? From photos say of the Mississippi the wideness and flatland would seem windy at times with short high chop. Don't think I'd want to experience that with a craft of this nature. I would guess the owners would be somewhat naive of river weather. Close watch on channel 16 for sure. Thoughts?

Al

Al: Post indicates the upper Mississippi River, which leads to the Lower Mississippi River near Cairo, Ill. where the Ohio River joins up. While the VW on a bun boat looks peculiar just imagine a couple of hundred years ago coming down those water to New Orleans in keel boats-without all those nice locks, and levees to protect you. I am in agreement with the anything that will float and take you south mind set at this time of year.

Al I'am about 70 miles north of St. Louis, Mo. at the 283 mm of the upper miss river. It gets a little choppy depending on the speed and direction of the wind I've had spray going over the flybridge before. That particular vessel had a 115 hp Yamaha and probably can do fine going down the river as long as he doesn't find a wing dam. My biggest fear for some of them that come thru on very sketchy craft is the loss of propulsion or steering and floating into a dam. There are plenty that come thru on boats that would take you anywhere, some I wouldn't trust to get me to the other bank.

Last edited:
Ron, As thought!! Guess that is what made America, jumping off into the unknown with not much more than "Hope and Change":banghead: whoops, sorry,:whistling:
Al

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411487860.879341.jpg
Some that come thru are pretty nice like this Nimble sailboat, this couple were on their way to the west coast of Florida.

Another GH came in tonight no pic it was after dark when I noticed it. Spent the late afternoon and evening in the galley replacing the fridge.

Ron. Which GH? Name? And was it them replacing their fridge or you?

ERIC (past Sales Manager for GH)

Eric I replaced my fridge, just a guess but it looked like the one with a flybridge that came thru a few weeks ago on their way north, I think it's name is the Carolyn Ann. It was gone early the next morning.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412009556.601646.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412012604.991637.jpg
Another cat on the way to a warm winter, a Trawl Cat 36

Booknotes :: Watch

A good read on river travel

In 2010 my wife and I spent 30 days on the Mississippi river aboard our sailboat in route to New Orleans. She was reading Riverhorse at the time. The author at one point make the comment after awhile its river river river because so much of it looks the same. She would pop her head out of the companionway look around and say river river river and go back below. We look back on the trip to the Keys and feel the time on the Mississippi was the best part. It is a shame more people don't take the river all the way to New Orleans.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412183694.987329.jpg
A nice looking Mainship, home port is Arizona, haven't talked with the owners yet but I'll bet dollars to donut holes they're not going north;-)

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412461065.505051.jpg
Young America the GH is back on her way south and the aft cabin just came in.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412527174.002226.jpg
Not a very good pic, this is the 53' Hatteras aft cabin that came in yesterday. The unusual thing about it is they are heading north to the Quad Cities, they had bought the boat in Chicago. Planning on having it hauled at sunset marina and blocked on the hard for winter.

Dang Ron this guy really gets around . I guess he will make his way back thru here again . I've got to get this work thang out the way and get on with it !!

They left this morning I imagine you'll see them again in a few days on their way south. Remember "we work to live, we don't live to work"

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412742452.075522.jpg
Heading south got their bicycles on the front, several gas cans onboard. I guess a person can only tolerate so many winters up north.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1413144397.215954.jpg
A home built on the way to Mobile

Back
Top Bottom