Trawler video: summer 2014 : Monterey Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another great vid, Marm! Did you use a drone for some of those shots or a buddy's boat? Looks great.

Al, Thanks! Actually we just attached a pole and a few guy wires to the bow for the aerial shots. For the shots driving up to the boat I used an old knee board with a camera on it. I used the down rigger to let it out and bring it back in.
Now I just need to talk to the right Boat/yacht dealer and get into making these vids to help sell boats by viewing a boat the way the people deserve.

cool video!

were those sand dabs or juvenile halibut?

Thanks Joe! Those are sand dabs in this shot. I'm currently working on an underwater project in that same area and recently got footage of a HUGE halibut that hangs out there (50+lbs) so I'm sure there are little ones close by. Also, flounder, octopus, and dungeness crab are plentiful.

Great footage!
Are using a GoPro?

Yep for the Trawler project I used all GoPro H3's. I use a "SONY PONY"(HXR pro camera) for the high quality/zoom/pan shots. Sometimes i'll use the CONTOUR ROAM2 for underwater or action shots as well. Both have epic HD quality and can shoot at 60fps.

This jellyfish video was shot with the CONTOUR R2.

Last edited:

this is a similar video on the Mediterranean, HD Go-pro

A quick video by MARM PRODUCTIONS - Summer 2014 [Trawler Style]

Marm,

I really love that video!! Lots of questions but I won't ask.

Great production. :socool:

Thanks,

How did you get the overhead bow shots?
Is your camera a go pro? I was guessing that because of under water footage.
Lastly, what is that song and who sings it?

Thanks

Hire me to do a video of your boat and I'll give you all the secrets.

haha.. just kidding...unless you want to.

Okay, so the overhead bow shot was done with an extension pole guyed off side to side for stability with a GoPro H3 attached to the end. Most of my underwater footage is done with the GoPro H3+ as well as the aerial shots. Sometimes I use the CONTOUR Roam2, another waterproof action cam which is probably the most equivalent to the GoPro. I use the"SONY PONY" an HD SONY HLX pro cam for the smooth/seamless shots. The song is by Gotye "Out of My Mind". Spread the word if you can. I think if you were looking to sell or buy a nice boat a video like this would kick ass!

Last edited:
Marm,

Outstanding youtube channel. The Corvette caught my attention as I own a 500HP car.
Don't want too much creep here so back to boating.

Great photography and production. Yacht brokers should be knocking at your door.

Rite on! Thanks !

I'm ready when they come a knocking!
Seriously though, thanks for appreciating some of my work. That vette is no joke. You went from a cool guy to a baddass after reading you have a 500+hp car too! Hopefully we keep our boats at even keel and our butts out of jail. So keep enjoying the Videos and I'll keep em coming.
Thanks again

My Pontiac has won 15 races, all road races. Notches on the belt include a Viper Porches, Vettes but most Vette owners won't race them, Acura NSX but they are all looks, and others. I never wasted my time with Stangs.

Lost two. Lamborghini and twin turbo slant nosed Porsche. Should have known better. :facepalm: This was 1995. No racing since.

American muscle!

Yea they won't let me on the track w/out a race approved roll bar so all my notches are via street. Haven't lost yet.

This thread has taken a drift right into my strike zone. I also have had some 500+ hp rides, but due to weight they were rather mellow. Only have 2 now, a stock 2011 CTS-V which is mellow due to its mass, but the other one tips the scales at 1790 lbs, 427 cid, 526 hp @ 5700, has a decent idle and good street manners and runs a consistent 9.7.

Hp is nice but light weight is even better.

You win on the 9.7. Mine is about 4000 pounds and has a 2.72 axle it's for highway. every 1000 rpm is 40 mph. What I like is cruising at 80 is only 2000 RPM and 24.9 MPG. Not bad for a 500 HP car.

Nice to see other car guys here.

It is the car in my avatar. Over the last 10 years I've run 3 different engines. The first was a 355 sbc circle track engine, lousy street manners, raspy cracking idle, 12 mpg which is poor for a 1790 lb ride and 10.8 ET.

The next engine I built for torque as low in the rpm band as I could get it. 350 block, 400 crank, so 383 cid. 516 lb/ft @ 2800, idled like a pussycat, could pull top OD gear below 1000 rpm (manual trans) and at a steady 65 mph on a flat highway would break 30 mpg. 11.4 ET but a joy to drive. This is a 6% grade being pulled in top gear with a Tremec TKO 600 0.64 OD, 31" tires, 3.54 Jag IRS.

The current engine I let the talents of Scott Shafiroff design and build. Dart block 427. Better street manners than the 355, doesn't pull below 2000 rpm like the 383 could and 17 mpg.

355 was 386 hp, the 383 was 320 hp.

When the car is as light as mine you can see what small increases in hp do for your ET.
320 hp 11.4 ET
386 hp 10.8 ET
526 hp 9.7 ET

Here is a 427 side oiler in my '55 Ford many moons ago (about 30 years) and even though the hp was much higher than any of the engines I've run in the Track-T, the best ET was a 10.8 on borrowed slicks. I've never run slicks on the Track-T but it wouldn't surprise me if I didn't break something on launch that I might see eights.

It took me 40 years of hot rodding to catch on that weight is the enemy.

Bob, This is awesomeness!!! I had a 57 Ford side oiler too. Trawler minds think alike.

I really like the car you have. One day, I would like to build a street rod like that. Time isn't on my side and too many boat projects plus playing in two bands.

Bob, This is awesomeness!!! I had a 57 Ford side oiler too. Trawler minds think alike.

I really like the car you have. One day, I would like to build a street rod like that. Time isn't on my side and too many boat projects plus playing in two bands.

Small world. Who would have guessed folks that like a sedate 6 kt of speed for the long haul on the water want to rip like their pants were on fire on the street? I do get to go a bit faster on the water when serving on a container ship, around 19 kt, but the rate of acceleration is a snooze. The engine computer will stretch out to 1 hour the change from full ahead (14 kt) to full ahead sea speed.

If you get around to building something like mine, be sure to mount the engine and trans so low in the frame rails so that your CG is at or below spindle height. With no moment-arm to lean the body in a turn, insane G can be generated in the twisties, even though a PITA for speed bumps. I live off of hwy 49 in the Sierra foothills and the cornering is more fun (and legal) than the balls out acceleration.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom